GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What modifications can you make, if any? Could I put an aftermarket stereo in? What about rims? THanks, Michael./

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'd say it probably the ultimate deciding factor is probably whatever the lease contract says. I don't know why you couldn't do wheels though, its not like they can't come off...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is leasing a vehicle even a good idea?

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
GMCtrk said:
is leasing a vehicle even a good idea?
not if you want to mod it.

you can do whatever you please to a leased vehicle, so long as the mods can be removed the the vehicle restored to original condition upon maturity of the lease.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I for one wouldn't lease, it runs in my family to keep the vehicle for a long time (volvo... 20 years ... suburban is at 14...blazer is at only 2...), so it really wouldn't work for me. But I imagine for some people it would make sense.

·
I don't own a lowrider
4,694 Posts
Yeah...you can do bolt ons to a leased vehicle. Just keep the stock parts and put them back on when you take it back.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
well if u've got the cash at the end to buy the truck... then you can do whatever you want.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If your gonna buy it at the end then just buy it now. I have some friends that have leased cars and they always wind up paying more in the long run cause there are all kind of limitations to the lease like the amount of miles you can put on in a given year If you go over its so much a mile. The final payment if you decide to buy it is always outrageous too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm yea so leasing doesn't sound like such a good idea :insane:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Leasing isn't for everyone. I leased my current truck then purchased it.

I did it that way because I was self employed the first 3 years I owned my truck. 100% of the truck was a business expense and tax deductable. From the 37" Swampers to the 6" RCD Lift and 4.56 gears, even fuel.

After those 3 years passed I bank finance the residual payment. Now I am trading ol' Nelly Belle in on a 2500HD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Leasing is a good option if:
1. You can write off your vehichle expenses
2. You don't put on alot of miles every year

Alot of people had gone to leasing over the last few years due to the fact that you are only making payments on approx. 51% of the value of the vehicle with a residual or buyout at the end of the lease term. Even though the interest rates were higher it made for lower monthly payments. With all the low or 0% finance options available today it has made it less appealing for the average person to lease. As far as mods, yes you can do whatever you want as long as you are prepared to either return the vehicle to the original condition or when you trade it in have the dealer "buy" it from you and use that money to payout your lease (you might have to kick-in the difference).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sunny said:
Leasing is a good option if:

2. You don't put on alot of miles every year
yea, that's a problem. I have to drive a lot of miles each year

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I leased my '99 S-10 ZR2, I installed a rubber bed mat, trailer hitch and remote start. I left all the items on the truck when I turned it in and the dealer didn't say anything. In fact they told me that it made it easier for them to sell it.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Grover said:
When I leased my '99 S-10 ZR2, I installed a rubber bed mat, trailer hitch and remote start. I left all the items on the truck when I turned it in and the dealer didn't say anything. In fact they told me that it made it easier for them to sell it.
I can see how those sorta add ons would help sell the truck...but i wouldn't even consider them mods. Stuff like headers, exhaust, new intake, all that performance stuff, and a lot of exterior mods might make it hard to sell a vehicle...when people buy used, a lot of them still like to buy a truck/car that is pretty much stock...i know i was lookin for that when i bought my blazer and boy that way hard to find one that was pretty much stock...if its not stock, most people think they are buyin someone elses problems...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I think leasing is a horrible idea. You pay and pay on that truck and never get any equity out of it. Not like vehicles have much. But after a 3 year lease you still owe about half or more of what you paid for it. Horrible idea. Just buy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts