GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seafoam, duh!
anywho, i'm getting a clicking, sounds like lifter tap and i have some seafoam. Should i put it all in the tank, or some in the oil, or all in the oil, or what? should I put a little in the intake lines (brake booster hose)?

yah.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,533 Posts
What weight oil are you running? I had lifter noise on warm startup with 5w30, went to a 10w40 and it's quiet as a mouse.

Seafoam goes in the crankcase for lifter noise - run for a few minutes and change the oil. Don't drive around with ALL of it in your crankcase, you may get by with half...

When you put it in the crank - it works to clear away any varnish and gunk that may be causing the lifters to stick in their bores, or dissolve crud that's preventing them from filling up with oil.

When you suck it in your intake................. it cleans the combustion chamber, backs of valves, etc. Not lifters. Think about it :jester:

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you suck it in your intake................. it cleans the compression chamber, backs of valves, etc. Not lifters. Think about it :jester:
Yah, i know that, I just meant should i throw some in there while i'm at it. Basically what i meant to ask, but couldnt quite get across is how much should i put where?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Look into this shit made for your crank case, Somethin RX. I'll have to look it up... I've seen B12 and the like eat up stuff in there.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should I put some in the crankcase and run it for a few minutes then change the oil, or change the oil then put some in and leave it, or change it, put some in, run it, and change again?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
How about oil only in the crankcase?

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that is an option, but i'm looking to see if i can stop this annoying valvetrain tap. Hopefully I dont need to replace anything, but i want to see if i can clean it up before going any further. I would buy some of that auto-rx stuff, but i want to change my oil asap.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Take 1/2 to 3/4 of a Quart of tranny fluid and add it to the oil,If ya are sticking from sludge or varnish the trans fluid will dissolve it .... Ya can even run it around a bit just don't beat on it or work it hard, then drain the oil, change filter and refill with a good oil..

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahahhaah

but yeah, previous question, w/ fresh oil and run, w/ dirty and run, or w/ fresh and keep it in?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Yes, that is an option, but i'm looking to see if i can stop this annoying valvetrain tap. Hopefully I dont need to replace anything, but i want to see if i can clean it up before going any further. I would buy some of that auto-rx stuff, but i want to change my oil asap.

Yes, that's the crap I'd add ONLY.

Unless you have 8k on dino oil, don't worry.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Take 1/2 to 3/4 of a Quart of tranny fluid and add it to the oil,If ya are sticking from sludge or varnish the trans fluid will dissolve it .... Ya can even run it around a bit just don't beat on it or work it hard, then drain the oil, change filter and refill with a good oil..
This old GM tech told me about that once. He said about 16 oz. of it in the crankcase helps out a lot. My cousin does it in his expedition, with no issues. I never tried it, though.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So put it in the crankcase, run for a few mins, then change oil? lol that's my only question hahahaha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts