GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually get mine from Alamo Welding Supply or Union Industrial Gas. I'm thinking about getting an account through Praxair.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you use nitrogen or helium? The helium costs twice as much but is alot more fun than nitrogen.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
IM LOWR said:
I usually get mine from Alamo Welding Supply or Union Industrial Gas. I'm thinking about getting an account through Praxair.
off topic but by chance do you own a single cab that was up at EKMW in houston?

Reason i ask is there a white silvy up there with ghost flames, cowl hood, bagged/ bodydrop and there setting up for 24's, they said the guy lived in austin

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Helium flows much faster giving you more speed airing up or airing down. It's also about 5times as loud going in the bags airing up and coming out of the valves on the way down..... for those of you not familiar with using helium be careful if you are going to use it. Start out at a low psi, then move up once you are more comfortable with the speed. Also some valves are not able to close right away after the helium passes through and your valve may let more air into(or out of) your bags than you expected. In other words, if you are not sure about your valves, don't do it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Downfall, that is my truck at EKMW. I let a friend of mine drive it back in November and he wrecked it. I figured that while I am down getting repaired I would go ahead and get the 24's. I can't wait til the day that I get to drive that money pit of a truck again.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
lets see some pics of it.... come on... you know you wanna :worship:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
IM LOWR said:
Downfall, that is my truck at EKMW. I let a friend of mine drive it back in November and he wrecked it. I figured that while I am down getting repaired I would go ahead and get the 24's. I can't wait til the day that I get to drive that money pit of a truck again.
:head: your truck will look sick when its done. are you going to make heatwave with it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, If I make it to Heatwave in my truck on the 24's I will be the happiest guy there! BUT we all(or at least I do) know that the odds of it being done by then are slim to none.... unless of course someone has Chip Foose's phone number and they can 'overhaul' my truck in a week! :D I may be at Heatwave but I doubt it will be completely re-painted like I want it. The shop that is doing the paint job is going to probably be the deciding factor, and I don't want to rush him and reduce the quality of the finish. I have already gone 6 months without my truck since the wreck, and that does not even include the initialy build which took 50weeks! I do plan to make it to the other Heatwaves(in Waco and the other TX show) later in 2004 though. I will try to round up some pics and get them posted here.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
:head: thats cool if you make it up to heatwave truck or not stop by and say whats up we will be out getting burnt and sweating our ass's off :LOL:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
IM LOWR said:
Downfall what are the specs on going under the knife may 28th?
i willl be taking it to EKMW on the 28th to just get bagged on 22's (no body drop yet :bawl:) 4-link w/lever attachment for bag mount, new inner front fenders, 1/2 GC valves with an engine driven comp and 21 gals of air (screw paying $15 a bottle for nitrogen) crossmembers sectioned or replaced?

future plan is a stock floor and 24" billet someday

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:head: cool, I'll have to check out your set up when I go to EKMW in a couple of weeks. I am curious as to how your air supply setup is going to work. I probably should have went that route but I got pissed when my 2 compressors stopped working after 6 months and I just got on the bottle. Hopefully I can get tha hookup on my air somewhere, like a commercial type account/rate.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
IM LOWR said:
:head: cool, I'll have to check out your set up when I go to EKMW in a couple of weeks. I am curious as to how your air supply setup is going to work. I probably should have went that route but I got pissed when my 2 compressors stopped working after 6 months and I just got on the bottle. Hopefully I can get tha hookup on my air somewhere, like a commercial type account/rate.
thats the exact reason i went ahead and bought the engine driven i kept hearing about peoples electric comps just going out on them and since i like to play with the switchs nitrogen would have been very expensive especially since i moved up to oklahoma and they charge out the ass for refills up here and take a week turn around becasue they have to send it off to get filled (small town)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man, I would definetly go the engine driven mount if I had to wait a week for full tanks. One reason I went with the tanks also was for more speed... compressed atmospheric air seemed faster than nitrogen but helium is WAY FAST! how much psi are you able to run on the system you are doing? I had my regulator set at about 240psi until it went into the shop. I was told that I could go up to about 320psi but I was not going to ask for something to break. I was also thinking about upgrading to 1/2 inch lines(I have 3/8 right now). What engine do you have in your truck? Any mods done to it?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
EKMW will be putting in the engine driven (first one they have put in so i hope it goes smoothly for them)

the pressure switch that comes with the kit is only 145 but i can run 300+ (300 psi max on air tanks) if i bought a new PS but i dont want to blow bags so im just going to stick with the 145 for now

i have the 5.3 and the only mod i have done is a cgs intake to make room for the 22's

the next thing im doing is a system so i will put a bigger alt on later but as far as engine mods there wont be too many until i drop a diffrent engine in it much later on down the road

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had 14 gal of air tank and it would not exactly last long. If I were you I would try to squeeze in another few gallons somewhere. EKMW put 2 tanks and my compressors all where my spare tire used to be. I could have fit another tank in place of the compressors which is probably what they are doing on your set up. I wonder if you could fit two smaller tanks on the outside of the frame rails behind the rear tires? Also do you have any ideas on your system build? I am trying to sell a box for a reg. cab 99-up.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
you really think 21 gallons wont be enough? I might have check in to some smaller tanks on the outside frame rails

i have an extcab and plan on making a fiberglass console with two RE XXX 12's.

try the for sale forum here for your box im sure somebody would be interested.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts