GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get my gears changed to 4.10 from 3.73 and have a chrome diff cover put on my 2k suburban 2wd. Can anyone recommend a good priced shop in southern california that can do this on a sat morning for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Tri County Gear in Pomona

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
why go for such a small gear change tho?? if i was goin up from 3.73, i wouldn't waste my money on 4.11s, id go with 4.56s.

·
OG Member
4,862 Posts
blownchevy said:
four wheel specialties on Sepulveda.
Thats where I went and had my truck re-geared and I cant be more satisfied. And they did actually do it on a Saturday mornin and finished by around 1 in the afternoon cause they had all the parts in stock and didnt have to order a single part which was very convenient.

Just to give you a fair warning the outside of their building is in pretty bad condition and their location isnt in the greatest area either BUT dont let that fool you cause these guys are very knowledgable and know their shit. They just need to get their building fully re-modeled.

MotoHead

·
Registered
10 Posts
blownchevy said:
four wheel specialties on Sepulveda.
I went there and asked how much it would be for Eaton posi, gears and install and they quoted me about $1500. :insane:
Can you say rip off? I guess if you don't want to shop around and just want to drop your truck off and pick it up a few hours later then yeah, take it there.
But for the people who don't have that kind of money, check out the ebay stores for gears, posis, install kits, etc. I believe it's 589gear that sells an Eaton posi, gears and install kit (everything you need for install) package for about $600 shipped.
There's a place called Hooper's rear end in Sun Valley that does excellent work. They charge $200 for a posi and gears install.
So you're looking at about $800 total if you buy the parts online then take it to Hooper's. Or you can just drop it off at 4WheelParts and pay $700 more for the convenience. I would go to 4WheelParts just because of the name, convienience and cleanliness of their shop. That's why it costs more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
MotoHead said:
Thats where I went and had my truck re-geared and I cant be more satisfied. And they did actually do it on a Saturday mornin and finished by around 1 in the afternoon cause they had all the parts in stock and didnt have to order a single part which was very convenient.

Just to give you a fair warning the outside of their building is in pretty bad condition and their location isnt in the greatest area either BUT dont let that fool you cause these guys are very knowledgable and know their shit. They just need to get their building fully re-modeled.

MotoHead
It's in Van Nuys. It's not Inglewood, but it's also not Calabasas. During the day you're fine there, Van Nuys is nothing to be scared about.
The guys there do know their shit and are friendly. But as I said, they're pricey but some people like to pay extra for that, I'm one of them :read: :shake:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts