GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the knock sensor on a 2002 silverado. I have a low input fault code. And want to replace the sensor.

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Under the intake manifold from my memory

·
Registered
785 Posts
Where is the knock sensor on a 2002 silverado. I have a low input fault code. And want to replace the sensor.

Thanks,
Four2fight
Hey Brian,

The knock sensors (there are two of them) are located under the intake manifold. It shouldn't be a tough swap for you. The only specialty tool you'll need is a fuel line disconnect tool, and one can be had for just a couple of dollars.

On each of the fuel injectors is a tab that you'll lightly pull to unlock the clipping mechanism. Squeeze the now-exposed tab on the body of the injector connector until it clicks and lightly pull the connector from the injector. Repeat for the remaining 7.
Loosen each of the ten 10mm intake manifold bolts to the point that you can lift them up. They won't pull completely free of the manifold, so don't worry when they won't come out.
Disconnect the miscellaneous sensors that are on the manifold, and lift it out and to the side. You'll see the wires running to the two "pods" under the intake manifold. Since you're there, might as well replace both simultaneously.

·
Registered
210 Posts
you don't really need the fuel line tool, you can flop over the whole intake to the side if you're cheep

or leave the injectors all mounted, disconnect all the safety clips from the injector wiring harness.

There's 2 sensors, the plugs themselves fall apart all the time. There's a ceramic "clip/lip" that the plugs clip into, and they're brittle as hell

·
Registered
210 Posts
also:
Here's what they look like one's 3/8s the other 5/16 . . . the 3/8s works for both

DSC00318.gif

DSC00320.gif

DSC00029Medium.gif

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks tootall.

I got it and have sold my 02. I am going to miss that truck. It is a very good truck.

Four2fight

1 - 7 of 7 Posts