GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I know a lot of people like doug's cut outs but they are a bit pricey, and it seems the only E cut outs ive read complaints about are the QTP's (not trying to offend anyone). However, I have not heard much about the DMH, McCord, and BadlanzHPE cut outs. All are about the same price so who has opinions on which to go for?

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Ive had a QTP for a long time now and have never had a problem out of it

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Ive had a QTP for a long time now and have never had a problem out of it
You got lucky. Real lucky. After QTP rebuilding mine and a friends about 5 times I pretty much told them to go fuck themselves. Look all over Tech. The QTP falling apart is NOT uncommon.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Another pissed off QTP customer checking in... :down:

After 3 months of use, I had this happen while driving down the highway one morning.

DSCN3248.jpg

I've heard good things about both DMH & McCord. I'll be getting a pair from Keith McCord in a couple months. I can't wait to hear this thing through a set of cutouts. :head:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well i guess the determining factor is the cut out brand itself. the DMH is $200 shipped with a flowtech cut out. McCords doesnt come with one, so here is what my total cost would be with different cut outs from summit, shipped.
DHM+flowtech = $200
McCord+summit cutout = $170
McCord+QTP = $186
McCord+Dynomax = $195

so i guess, does anyone know which brand cut out is best? will summits work fine?...its not stainless

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
ill agree i had to rebuild my qtp a few times....havent tried another brand, but id be willing to try something other than qtp

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are QTP's manual cut outs bad too?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds like i should just go with the DHM. how much will it cost to have the cut out put on? should i just upgrade to 3" pipe from the cat back? (since the cut out is 3")

·
Gringo Chiludo
586 Posts
I hear DMH is the shit!

Anybody running cutouts without cats? Seems like if you didn't run cats it would defeat the purpose of the cutout....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I hear DMH is the shit!

Anybody running cutouts without cats? Seems like if you didn't run cats it would defeat the purpose of the cutout....
I did on my old setup. It made a big difference in mine, but I guess I have an extreme case. I wanted to keep a single 3" exhaust, but I knew it was holding me back on the top end, where my old cam really shined. Now that I went with a bigger exhaust system, I might not get the cutouts. I'll wait till I get it on the dyno before I decide. :D

·
It is what it is
1,114 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the Summit cutout or the QTP electric part. I have heard about the QTPs falling apart all the time and the Summit cutouts resting to hell. You'd be better off spending the few extra $$ and getting the DMH package. I just put on a Flowtech 3" cutout and will be ordering the DMH by the end of the week. I spent $40 to have it installed.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i called about 8 muffler/exhaust shops in the area. every shop asked, "what is a cut out" and then told me i would be paying about $85 labor plus parts for a custom 2.75" to 3" expander.... $100 to weld a damn cut out in?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
i called about 8 muffler/exhaust shops in the area. every shop asked, "what is a cut out" and then told me i would be paying about $85 labor plus parts for a custom 2.75" to 3" expander.... $100 to weld a damn cut out in?
:LOL: I think my buddy only charges people $20 or 40

Just buy the parts you need, and take it to them... tell them you want it welded in before the cat. Find a local f-body board and ask the guys on there who they recommend for exhaust work. :read:

edit... why do they need a custom expander? lmao They have a press that does it in about 3 seconds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts