GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado z71 with a 5.3 vortec I have dual exhaust ran and I just put a 130 amp alternator and change out plug plug wire and coil packs to high performance next(long list) I know I want to cam my truck but I have no clue where to start or what else I may need to but along with a cam. I heard the 109 LSA is good. Anyone with advice?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Listed work, will not affect performance. True duals will hurt more than anything, depending on what you’re definition is.

Cams are not one size fits all. But LS motors are. So you have to state what you want to accomplish with the truck, when saying you want a cam.

BTR and TSP make some nice low lift truck cams that are budget friendly, for people not wanting a stall or re-gear.

Possibilities are endless, but anything on a 109LSA is going to chop hard, however require a lot of supporting mods and a really good tuner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well not true duals they are just split at the bed of my truck and I really want a good lope and still have low end power upgrading rocker arms/pushrods shouldn’t be a problem as I plan to purchase a whole kit Maybe a 112LSA would need less supporting mods?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Listed work, will not affect performance. True duals will hurt more than anything, depending on what you’re definition is.

Cams are not one size fits all. But LS motors are. So you have to state what you want to accomplish with the truck, when saying you want a cam.

BTR and TSP make some nice low lift truck cams that are budget friendly, for people not wanting a stall or re-gear.

Possibilities are endless, but anything on a 109LSA is going to chop hard, however require a lot of supporting mods and a really good tuner.
Well not true duals they are just split at the bed of my truck and I really want a good lope and still have low end power upgrading rocker arms/pushrods shouldn’t be a problem as I plan to purchase a whole kit Maybe a 112LSA would need less supporting mods?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
okay boomer.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Maybe drop the step bars and bro fender flairs and bumper first. Plus caddy handles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

My truck is a daily driver I don’t want to hurt the motor or over cam I want this truck to last. A nice aggressive lope at idle would be great for me

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Long tube headers, ORY, 3” cat back, with a cut out will give you all you need. And you need that to get a lobe out of a cam anyways

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Long tube headers, ORY, 3” cat back, with a cut out will give you all you need. And you need that to get a lobe out of a cam anyways
I already have the cat back exhaust my truck sounds good but whenever I crank it really doesn’t give off a aggressive lope (unless it’s in the winter and you hear that Chevy engine Knock) and Im not sure about the headers tho I really haven’t thought about see if I have long tube or short tube headers

·
Registered
788 Posts
@BoltspeedMen Pretty much summed everything up. Don't run shorties.. you probably already have the factory manifolds. Get a set of LT's.

212/218 112lsa is what I run and is a very proven cam.. do a search on google and you'll see how many people run it

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

This is a really good write-up on cam installs. It is also what showed me that swapping a cam wasn't as simple as I thought. I'd recommend giving it a good read before making any decisions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts