GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's about time to convert my 06 silverado z71 4x4 to a coilover front set up. I have looked at the atomic kit eich is a great price. And I am also leaning toward the JD fabrication kit.
Here are some comparison shots, i would like to here some opinions thoughts about these kitsch or other kits from some of you guys. First (red coil) is atomic kit. The second (blue coil) is the JD kit.

Screenshot_20181206-105016_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20181206-111016_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20181206-111029_Samsung Internet.jpg

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
x2 on Atomic. I'm 2 years on his kit with no issues. Simple and effective.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
And don't mount your shock upside down like the dude in the Atomic picture. Adjustment knob is easier to get to on top.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
Here’s some pics of mine. Sorry for multiple posts, at work and jumping between phone & pc

60EEE6B5-06D7-4DAB-A9C7-8876F9749A02.jpeg
D541CD16-2CD8-4199-8631-DA2138B564AA.jpeg
41B4FB45-66D6-467F-9C68-9422480C0126.jpeg

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
your shocks are upside down lol. Not the ones in the OP haha

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
Trust me it's easier to put preload on them and adjust the valve that way. There's no way you're getting any leverage on that spanner wrench from underneath the truck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm ok. Very interesting. And changes my mind a bit. I like the price of the atomic. Is the stock shock mount location strong enough?
Also I do have a 6" pro comp lift if that makes a difference. I see they have the kit for lifted rigs.
Phil dirt what coilovers/ shocks, springs are you using? How are the supplies Vikings?
Also what upper control arms are recommended with this kit? I do like these JD ones. Due to having so many alignment issues and bad ball joints on the stockers.

Screenshot_20181206-124636_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20181206-124622_Samsung Internet.jpg

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
Control arms aren’t a factor, if you don’t need them now coilovers wouldn’t change that. If you’re having ball joint issues now it sounds like you are over cranked, I would factor that in when setting your shock height. If you do want a more extreme angle on the bj any of the arms will work. I am running EBay arms made for a 3” lifted 2wd Silverado on my Suburban. Don’t forget cv angle is still a limiting factor even with coilovers.

The stock upper shock mount is not strong enough, that is what his conversion bracket is for. It sits in the upper shock “pocket” but just for location, not support. The bracket bolts through the frame. You can weld it on if you’re worried about the bolts. That bracket supports the weight, not the shock bracket. I’ve seen a few guys mount the shock through the stock bracket but I wouldn’t trust it.

I’m using QA1 coilovers with PAC springs. 750lb. I am running a rough country 6” NTD lift as well.

Atomic can walk you through spring and shock selection and tell you what to measure. He’s really helpful and responsive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Graystone Ha yes I drive my truck quit a bit. I'm all about heim joints. As long as I know what the clunking is from I dont mind it. In fact I drive my truck way too hard my upper balls have a LOT of play, sway bars just pop off so I dont use those. I consistantly break cv axles, and high center on my torsion bar cross bracket. But I've had her since new and love it.

20181206_134714.jpg

20181206_134659.jpg

20181206_134633.jpg

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
That bottom one looks like a glorified shock extension. I wouldn’t run it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed. 100% I had to take a closer look to understand what was happening with the atomic piece. I still cant tell if the stock upper shock cup gets chopped off. It has to right? And I will probably be reinforcing everything with a mig weld anyway.

Screenshot_20181206-140149_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20181206-140158_Samsung Internet.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Graysone and anyone else. What control arms do you recommend? My alignment will NOT stay. I even welded the camper bolts once.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
If you’re running a 6” knuckle lift and can’t hold an alignment there’s an issue with either your cam bolts or pins. I’d look there before worrying about UCA. Too many people running that lift without issues to say you need to do something extreme to fix it.

The stock shock pocket stays not sure why you’d want to cut it off. I driled mine out and bolted the top of the conversion bracket to it for additional reinforcement.

Edit- I had issues until I put new cam plates, pins, and bolts on. No problems after that. But the only reason I did that was because alignment shop broke 2 pins off and a couple of the cans were rounded off.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
Here’s the arm I used it’s an EBay chassis tech or some generic brand. Pretty beefy, greasable, bolt in bj. Have had them on for 2 years daily no issues

74A0EF2D-9F0C-4516-82B6-8A383815EE0F.jpeg

1 - 20 of 68 Posts