GMC Truck Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
It is what it is
261 Posts
Atomic all the way, plus you support a small business one of the forum members own. I had his coilover kit on my old truck. I had the Vikings and they were great if you could find the happy medium for your driving habits.

Just make sure you get the right length and coil spring rate

·
Administrator
3,361 Posts
Atomic all the way, plus you support a small business one of the forum members own. I had his coilover kit on my old truck. I had the Vikings and they were great if you could find the happy medium for your driving habits.

Just make sure you get the right length and coil spring rate
I just ordered a kit for my burb from him. Great communicator. I'm still waiting on the coilovers to arrive but his brackets already showed up and they look to be of good quality. I can't wait to get the stuff installed :)

·
It is what it is
261 Posts
I just ordered a kit for my burb from him. Great communicator. I'm still waiting on the coilovers to arrive but his brackets already showed up and they look to be of good quality. I can't wait to get the stuff installed :)
He’s a great guy, has great customer service and the quality is very good for the price. The install was borderline stressful for me because I only had a small window to get it done and the spring rate was lower than what I wanted so the preload was insane. I couldn’t find the spring rate in the size spring I had, but it’ll be a much better turn out if you have a lift where you can go with a longer spring with a lower spring rate.

You’ll enjoy it once everything gets fine tuned and it’ll handle so much better

·
Administrator
3,361 Posts
He’s a great guy, has great customer service and the quality is very good for the price. The install was borderline stressful for me because I only had a small window to get it done and the spring rate was lower than what I wanted so the preload was insane. I couldn’t find the spring rate in the size spring I had, but it’ll be a much better turn out if you have a lift where you can go with a longer spring with a lower spring rate.

You’ll enjoy it once everything gets fine tuned and it’ll handle so much better
I'm definitely very excited!

·
Administrator
3,361 Posts
What spring rate amd coilover model? When i had mine he suggested 750lb waaaaaaaaaaay to stiff.
Viking C207 with a 10" 850lb spring. Maybe he gave me a stiffer spring due to mass of a suburban vs pickup truck? :shrug: I'm putting all my trust in him so I trust/hope it's all good when it arrives. I made the assumption (right or wrong) that most of the handling characteristics came from how you have the coilover dialed in. Could be a bad assumption, though :)

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Viking C207 with a 10" 850lb spring. Maybe he gave me a stiffer spring due to mass of a suburban vs pickup truck? :shrug: I'm putting all my trust in him so I trust/hope it's all good when it arrives. I made the assumption (right or wrong) that most of the handling characteristics came from how you have the coilover dialed in. Could be a bad assumption, though :)
I had c207 as well qith 750 spring for a regular cab. I needed a 600lb

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
I am running 750s but they are much longer. There’s some kind of correlation between length/travel and rate that Atomic is good at explaining. I got the impression that a short spring should have less travel (so would be a heavier spring).

Edit-I had 12” 750s but swapped to 14” 800s now that I think about it. I was having to put too much preload on the lighter spring. I also switched from Eibach to PAC because they were the only ones I could find at 800lbs this length. The Eibachs jump to 900 at 14” I believe.

07 is your truck lowered?

·
n. fil-dert.
6,849 Posts
Yes. roughly 3/5
Cool. I think that’s where this setup and the Viking option really shine. I like mine but it’s not like it dramatically increased performance. My favorite part is not seeing torsion bars or brackets/crossmember.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So it looks like I have a 6" procomp "true lift" which also drops the LCAs 6". The atomic kit is only designed for a lift spindle and the upper arms to be in the stock location for clearance of the coil over. I emailed atomic and they said the coils may fit with an aftermarket uca that allows wider clearance but aren't sure. (Atomic was very prompt and helpful via email btw. They just haven't tried it out on my list yet.)
Has anyone tried putting this kit on with dropped upper and lower control arms?
I know I am buying cognito uca's maybe they will clear..
I'm also aware of returning the arms to the stock location and getting lift/longer spindles. But I'd prefer not to have to buy new ones.

·
Super Moderator
5,739 Posts
Your upper control arms should be in the stock location. There are only two lift companies that move your ucas. And they are for new trucks. So that doesn’t apply to you.

With dropping the lca there is no issue. You would be in no different of a situation than Phildirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
What do you guys mean cv and sway bar...

JK. sway bars are for sissies lol. And CV will be replaced when the suspension is strong enough to keep them from rattling out.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts