GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I'm getting close (in a month or two) to adding some kind of big power adder to my truck to turn the 46's. I have 5.13 gears and am a very conservative driver (don't floor it etc). What would be the best power adder for my 6.0 with having the most torque in mind to move these heavy tires. What would I have to do with my 4l80e

Right now I'm looking at

Magnuson Supercharger
Kenne Belle Supercharger

STS turbo
Livernois Turbo(not sure if they still make it )

Thanks for the help and opinions guys

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Livernois isn't making the truck kits anymore, you'd have to find a used one. The Radix will be the most complete kit by far. Your 4L80E will handle the power just fine. Might look into doing a shift kit for it, but it will be pretty much indestructible unless you're going for huge power. If you want to put a little bit of extra work (tuning, etc) the STS kit is probably a good deal too. There is much more potential for you in a turbo kit. I used to be a s/c guy, but especially here in Phoenix with the hot summers, the Radix was a BBQ. Roots blowers run hot anyway, and the additional heat here didn't help. I would probably recommend the STS, but it depends on how complete you want it. Either way, when you're ready to install let me know, I'd be glad to help out :) One thing to remember though is that with a turbo you're going to have a little bit of a delay until the turbo starts to spool before you start building boost. I thought I was going to hate that, but I actually like it. I love the way the turbo feels as it starts to build boost.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
KB twin screw.

Build the valve body in the 80E and pray. It'll take a crap eventually, either you'll break the forward drum or smoke a clutch pack.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris, you know how to put these kits on dude?

I like the STS or the Kenne Belle but don't want any problems with incomplete kits etc. Just being honest, I knwo about suspension but pretty ignorant at forced induction

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
If you want a full kit then go maggie. You should try riding in a turbo truck and a supercharged truck if you get the chance and see which one you like better, of course if that is available to you. If not then personally I would go with the maggie because its a complete kit. PM Laynlow77, I believe he got his for a great price.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The thing that's great about the Magnacharger is that it is COMPLETE. It includes your fuel system upgrades, new injectors, a tune, etc etc. You order it, install it, and you're done (unless you get into extra upgrades, like a smaller pulley or 90mm throttle body or whatever). I don't know much about the KB kit, but I don't think the STS comes with fuel system upgrades or a tune. You're kinda on your own for those. The STS doesn't come with an intercooler either IIRC.

If your tune has already been modified though for your huge gears, you probably won't be able to use the Magnuson supplied tune though, FYI.

I'm comfortable working in and on these engines, so yeah I can help you with whatever. I'm on my 3rd motor, about 7th tranny, 2nd form of forced induction, done 4 cam swaps and a heads swap. Getting ready to swap heads and cam again on my truck this weekend.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:rockon: How long til you get pics up? :worship:

Edit: Now youre fender height is going to be around 64" :insane: You need to get a pic of you standing next to it for comparison

Tires come this afternoon, wheels Monday. Truck goes in on Monday for wheels and tires mount, 5.13 gears, new pitman and idler arms.

Got other stuff arriving today to:head:

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dam Chris, your the man for the job then.

I am concerned about the temps out here in summer time and would for sure need a custom tune. Probably have to add long tubes to the list if I get a blower right. What are all these kits about 5k?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I would plan on spending somewhere between 5 and 6k. Longtubes would be nice for a s/c setup, but are not necessary. If you go turbo you'll want to keep the stock manifolds, they hold in heat better.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chris, what would be a good turbo setup for my truck then

Could ya kind of list what I would need and where to get it. I would have to get a local tuner to tune it right? Do you know anyone good? Should I get an STS kit an upgrade it. I'm leaning towards the turbo due to its potential and lack of massive underhood temps here in Phoenix. Whats good and reliable

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I won't claim to be a pro at selecting turbos, but for your 6.0L something around the 67-70mm range would probably be about right. It should spool pretty quickly. I don't know enough about trims to recommend anything over anything else. There's a guy in town who contracts through a lot of the performance shops, his name is Nic. I don't have a phone number for him, but his screen name is NicD on ls1tech.com. I know AZ Dyno Chip does a lot of work through him as well, so I'm sure if you call them they can hook you up with him.

The final selection is up to you. Like I said, I don't know a lot about the Kenne Bell kits, so you might want to do some research on those. The little bit I have heard has been good. I had a Radix for awhile, and it was great for what I wanted at the time, but I ended up wanting more power than it was able to put out. I know Magnuson has a lot of new blowers in the works. The new TVS style blowers are supposed to be much more efficient, and they have a new MP122 compressor that can be swapped in place of the standard MP112 from the Radix kit.

As someone said above, you should try driving both a s/c truck and a turbo truck and see which one you like better. I'll let you drive mine if you want, and if you can find a s/c truck too it would be a good comparison.

The only thing that scares me about the STS kit is the long oil line for the turbo, but I don't think many people have had problems with them. As far as reliability goes, I think you'd be ok either way. Overall, the Radix will probably be more reliable, but there are tradeoffs. That's something you need to decide on.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gotcha dude

I had my eye on the Kenne Bell just due to the massive amount of torque it provides of the line to get those 46's moving where isn't a turbo really efficent above 2000rpm

Most of my driving like I said is very conservatice, I like my truck to much to beat it up. I drive between 700rpm and 2500rpm and thats pretty much it.

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Gotcha dude

I had my eye on the Kenne Bell just due to the massive amount of torque it provides of the line to get those 46's moving where isn't a turbo really efficent above 2000rpm

Most of my driving like I said is very conservatice, I like my truck to much to beat it up. I drive between 700rpm and 2500rpm and thats pretty much it.
From my knowledge yes a roots will get you more low end then a turbo will

·
I CANT SPELL GET OVER IT
1,705 Posts
low end go with KB or sumthing like that
for mid and high end get a STS turbo

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
On a well matched turbo you're looking at a spool of somewhere between 2000 to 2500 RPM I think. You could way undersize the turbo and get yourself the low RPM spool you want, but you'd be severely limited on high RPM output. Sounds to me like a roots-style blower would be best for you. Do some research on the KB kit and how it compares to the Magnuson kit.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Well to get that rolling mass moving, seems instant TQ would benefit most... :imo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts