GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hard Work, Clean Living
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put an exhaust on my truck soon, and was wondering what is the difference and what is everyone else running on their trucks. I have a NNBS CC 5.3L. I had a flowmaster on my Sierra and liked the outside sound but wasn't a big fan of the drone inside. So this time around I'm going to go with a magnaflow but don't know which to choose. Is there any difference in the round and the oval muffler sounds? Also do the lengths of the mufflers change the sound that much?
Here is what I'm looking at:

I can get the oval in a short 3 chamber but how is that going to sound compared to a longer 3 chamber oval? I'm not worried about the polished so that doesn't play a factor at all. I'm trying to save a little money because all the shops I've called up here want $400-$450 to install a kit. Using a muffler they supply. That is a outragous. But that is what everyone is quoting me. Sot hat is the norm. up here. Shipping has a lot to do with the prices.

My set-up is going to be: Weld in the new muffler and dual turn downs (dumps) AFTER the rear axle.

What do you guys think?:endofshow

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
You don't like drone but are going to dump the exhaust? :hmm: :think:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It wont drone too much dumped after the rear axle. The round magnaflows sound like glass packs. The oval ones sound much better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a magnaflow on my truck its a 2002 RCSB With a 4.8 and intake and its dumped before the rear axle. Im glad i went with it because it doesnt resonate in the cab that much, if at all. And its quiet when i cruise on the freeway and only gets louder when i get into the throttle. Its going to drone a little because its dumped but not nearly as much as a dumped flowmaster.Atleast IMO. I dont remember which length i have but i can find out for ya if you want. I know its a Single 3" In and 3" Out Dumped. Hope that helps ya.

·
Hard Work, Clean Living
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help Justin and CKelley. You don't have to worry about the size. I was mainly wondering about the difference in the oval and the round mufflers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 5x11 on my tahoe, part number is 12580. I told the shop that I wanted less drone then the flow that they installed on a pickup for me. Its nice and quiet (not as quiet as stock), until you pour the coal to it. Being a family oriented ride, I wanted less growl, but still noticeable.

"The 5"x11" oval body MagnaFlow was designed for Trucks, SUV's and RV's with larger engine displacements. These mufflers provide maximum flow and sound suppression."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts