1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
reeeeeeeeeeeepost. However I have that page bookmarked for when the times comes to do my truck.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
it's all rebadged peel n seal in my book

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
a short read is better with the proper facts then a long one full of company hype. where do you think elemental designs gets there sound dampner from for example

·
Registered
477 Posts
Elemental designs is well known to be peel and seal. So yeah, if ED is your choice (definitely not mine), then you're using overpriced peel and seal. However, if you're doing something else like Raamat or Second Skin, you're using a butyl based product. Butyl based stuff is going to be better at acoustical dampening. The fillers used in the peel and seal just don't have the same abilities. Using the better butyl products is not only better sound dampening. They are easier to install. I installed my Raamat in 40-45 degree weather with no issues.

But hey. Use whatever you like. It's your truck and you have to decide what you want to pay for what result.

Side note, just by being a forum member of caraudio.com and elitecaraudio.com and speaking with Rick on the phone a bit, I got a nice discount from the posted prices of Raamat. My personal opinion with regard to the butyl based products, Raamat is already best bang for the buck with listed prices. Get a discount off that and it definitely is.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yep. He does. Pretty limited, though. He has tightened up how much he does that. When I spoke with him, I wasn't able to get any. His product is very good, though. I just went with Raamat based on bang for buck, the fact that I was keeping a budget, and didn't think I'd see much more return for the money. Definitely a personal choice, though.

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
Doobie, did you notice a difference? before after? primarily in rattle control not so much SQ change?

im using Dynamat extreme just because of working at bby my price on it and the fact that i dont have to pay shipping for it makes it cost about as much as some of the brands which you dont "pay for the name".

·
Registered
477 Posts
Doors have less road noise. Cab resonance from Magnflow reduced signficantly. Speakers don't vibrate door panels. Not rattle control, at least from panels inside and such will be helped a lot by whatever foam type product you use in conjunction with the mat. The mat is more about vibrations, resonance, and such. Foam helps parts, especially plastic ones that are moving, bumping against each other and all that.

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
hmm, well my walls, under the large rear side glass, and my rear doors rattle like crazy when i have my system at full tilt.

i removed every interior panel in the back half of my truck i put 1 layer of extreme on every panel back there, i was going to do 2 layers on the roof and the floor. 3 layers on the sides and the rear doors, i was thinking of maybe some expanding foam also... good or bad idea on the expanding foam?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I used expanding foam (sparingly) in one spot. In extended cabs the back wall has an area that the rear defroster wires go across and plastic bueaty panel clicks into. It is in effect a hollow chamber that I'm guessing things could echo nicely through. So, I filled it a bit while I had everything apart. Just make sure if you use the stuff that you're careful to do it so that it can expand fully. I've heard of it continuing to expand and pushing things, including body panels out of shape. I believe there is supposed to be some blue version that won't do that, though.

Are you putting the mat on your plastic inner panels, or body pieces? Personaly I put the mat on the body pieces, and a little in certain spots on plastic panels. Then I put foam inside the doors (outer doorskin) on top of the mat. And foam on backside of door panels. And then foam in top of mat on certain parts of the floor. Not sure how much of a difference that area makes.

·
Snooby Doo
1,378 Posts
i put mat on the inner plastic around all the factory padding stuff that was on there (my roof actually already had some peel and seel lookin stuff on it too.) i plan on "spotting" the outer skin as well as i can (can only fit so much in those holes, then some of the expanding stuff, then sand the expanding foam down so its not popping out of the holes) then putting the 2-3 layers on the inner door skin (the spotting on the out door skin does not count as a layer IMO)

edit: as far as doing the interior plastic stuff, i wasnt/ im not sure what effect it will have, but i figure it will help prevent some sound waves from getting to the sheet metal. the goal of the deadening for me is to stop the sheet metal from bouncing around soo much...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
standard home depot peel n seal and a liquid dampner over top. i just don't sit online and talk at caraudio.com about products. i actually use them as a usaci competitor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts