GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get new subwoofers, and can't decide which ones to get. Right now I'm looking at Alpine Type-R 10's and Polk Audio MOMO MM 2124DVC 12's.

I'm looking for good sound quality with the ability to go somewhat loud, too. Which of those would be better? Or should I be looking at something completely different. It's for an extended cab truck, so I can't have that deep of subs or I'd have just gotten the Type-R 12's.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
i would look into getting a custom ported box for those type r's. They kickass in ported setups and can take a beating while sounding awesome. They get crazy loud as well
Type R gets my vote

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was talking to the guy who does my stuff and he said ported is usually only good for rap, which is only like 50% of what I listen to, so I'm opting for sealed box. Thanks for the vote though. :D I'm just worried 10's won't be as deep sounding as the 12's or I'd just buy em already.

9,795 Posts
a properly ported box will hit good with any type of music. My buddy had 4 L5 10's ported in his tahoe and it was some of the tightest and cleanest bass I have heard out of a setup. Shit I had 2 ported 15's and it was nice and tight. I would go ported type r's

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fi 10s and dont look back or the 12s

I have 2 12s in my ext cab why cant you?
No I have two 12's in it now but the Type-R 12's are like 8" deep and wouldn't be able to get enough airspace.

Is Fi the brand?

Are ported boxes typically more expensive? Also if I go ported I want it tuned to like 25hz :head:

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Ok so looking at those what's the double stack megnet do for the sound? are these the ones you have?

Are the FI SSD 10's any good?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the double-stack magnet enables the woofer to handle more power and move quicker. I don't think it does anything for sound other than just moving faster, which makes quick bass notes less muddy sounding. Having more magnets also increases the moving mass, which means more power is needed to get it moving.

Excellent driver, I was going to get them until I found the ICON was released and got a great deal on it

-John

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
get one 10" mtx thunder 9500 with a ported box and call it a day.

ive got one mtx 550 and it SLAMS imo .sounds clean as helll with rock and rap

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And the only boxes I can find are up-firing...will that make a difference over down firing?

And has anyone ordered from sonic electronix before?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

·
Esteban!
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 50 Posts