GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my 2001 tahoe lt? it gives me 2 options in the chiltons manual.

-gm auto trak 2 transfer case fluid if i have the new venture 236 or 246 np8 case
-or dexron 3 atf for all others.

how do i know which transfer case i have? also if i do use dexron 3 atf. didn't they stop making it and i read dexron 6 isn't recommended to be used in replacement.

·
4,725 Posts
do you have "auto 4wd" as an option on the buttons? crawl under and look at the circular metal tag that may say "NP 246 2.72:1"

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is the first 4wd i've owned. yeah it has auto 4wd, 4wd hi, and 4wd low buttons. i'll have to crawl under and look to see if the case is labeled.

·
Registered
314 Posts
ATF in manual shift transfer case (floor shifter to engage 4x4) and AutoTrac II in all pushbutton (electronic) TC's. There is no alternative to AutoTrac II, you must use the GM fluid as no other product is made for this.

btw - Amsoil still offers a ATF for use in Dexron III applications. So does GM but they call it a different name.

This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,535 Posts
Use AutoTracII in everything. It's leaps and bounds better than DexIII.

Won't harm a thing. My NVG-149 AWD case called for DexIII :nono:

I promptly changed to ATIIBlue.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You have to keep in mind its not always the performance issue of a fluid but the chemical makeup of it that qualifies it for use in transmission, transfer case etc.

I am not specially talking about AT II but in general terms. Some fluids are recommended over others because of the additives used could or do have a chemical reaction with the internal components of the assembly in that they have a corrosive effect on some metals (Copper Corrosion) used in that assembly. Example: Using a GL5 rated gear lube in a manual trans that specifics only GL4. Another reason Dexron VI is not recommended, it has not been validated (tested) in these applications to determine if its going to eat away some metals in use.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got underneath there and the sticker said use AutoTracII, so i guess off to the stealership. thanks guys.

·
Suburbanite
597 Posts
There is no alternative to AutoTrac II, you must use the GM fluid as no other product is made for this.
RP Synchromax is a Full Synthetic Alternative to the Autotrac II which is not a Synthetic Fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts