GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shit Disturber
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to pull power for my reverse floods at the hitch trailer plug.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram, or know which will give me power when the truck is in reverse?

Thank you in advance!

·
Shit Disturber
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
for the factory style 7 pin it is the one in the middle. Check it with a volt meter to confirm.

Mr. 960

Thanks for the reply. I'll be tying in behind the factory plug, and due to the spare it's not very acessble. Do you know what color the wire is?

I have my multi, but I need the truck to be in reverse. I probably need to wait for my wife to get home.

·
Shit Disturber
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just look in the manual or on the plug cover
Yea. I was hoping someone knew which color wire in the loom before the plug was the reverse off the top of their head, or had a wiring diagram of the area. Its not as easy to trace back as it sounds, but of course it can be done. I don't have a wiring diagram in my manual.

Are you going to wire your reverse floods to only come on when you are in reverse or are you also adding an interior switch so you can turn them on whenever?
I have reverse floods tied into the reverse tail light feeds now. I've got them powered without a switch or relay, so when I place the gear selector in reverse they come on. I wanted to tie into the hitch power to clean things up.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
turn key to run, set parking brake and drop truck in reverse. I don't know the color, but it is pin number 7, the one in the middle.

·
Shit Disturber
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for the factory style 7 pin it is the one in the middle. Check it with a volt meter to confirm.

Mr. 960

turn key to run, set parking brake and drop truck in reverse. I don't know the color, but it is pin number 7, the one in the middle.

Thank you.

I'll check this out today.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yea. I was hoping someone knew which color wire in the loom before the plug was the reverse off the top of their head, or had a wiring diagram of the area. Its not as easy to trace back as it sounds, but of course it can be done. I don't have a wiring diagram in my manual.

I have reverse floods tied into the reverse tail light feeds now. I've got them powered without a switch or relay, so when I place the gear selector in reverse they come on. I wanted to tie into the hitch power to clean things up.
I'm with you on tapping into the hitch power, I'd rather tap into that than my tail lights. I'm looking to do the same when I wire my flush mount D2's into the Fab Fours rear bumper, but I also want to wire an interior rocker switch so I can also use the lights when I'm not in reverse. I'm still debating on what's next to save for: Fab Fours rear bumper or Amp PowerSteps? Tough decision!

I've read conflicting things, both on this forum and others, about whether or not there is a need for your auxiliary rear lighting's wiring harness to have an in-line fuse and relay if your tapping into hitch power. One person that did this reported that he didn't use an in-line fuse/relay and he kept blowing fuses everytime he tried to put his truck in reverse, whereas you stated you did the same and have not had any issues.

·
Shit Disturber
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm with you on tapping into the hitch power, I'd rather tap into that than my tail lights. I'm looking to do the same when I wire my flush mount D2's into the Fab Fours rear bumper, but I also want to wire an interior rocker switch so I can also use the lights when I'm not in reverse. I'm still debating on what's next to save for: Fab Fours rear bumper or Amp PowerSteps? Tough decision!

I've read conflicting things, both on this forum and others, about whether or not there is a need for your auxiliary rear lighting's wiring harness to have an in-line fuse and relay if your tapping into hitch power. One person that did this reported that he didn't use an in-line fuse/relay and he kept blowing fuses everytime he tried to put his truck in reverse, whereas you stated you did the same and have not had any issues.

The reverse bulbs in the tail light are fed by a 10a fuse. The draw on the stock incandescent bulbs is right at 10a on cold start up, then they drop down to their operating draw.

LED lights have no startup surge. Whatever their operating draw is, that's what they draw hot or cold. All the bulbs I've checked have drawn their advertised amperage/wattage.

So, if you change your reverse bulbs to LEDs, then add an led reverse flood, as long as you are below 10a you'll be fine. Most bulb/ led cube (dually) combos will be well below this.

** I have verified all of my stated findings with a Snap On Vantage Scan Tool

·
Shit Disturber
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still debating on what's next to save for: Fab Fours rear bumper or Amp PowerSteps? Tough decision!

I just bought a set of Amp Powerstep's and I would highly recommend them. I did a small write up with pictures in my build thread.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The reverse bulbs in the tail light are fed by a 10a fuse. The draw on the stock incandescent bulbs is right at 10a on cold start up, then they drop down to their operating draw.

LED lights have no startup surge. Whatever their operating draw is, that's what they draw hot or cold. All the bulbs I've checked have drawn their advertised amperage/wattage.

So, if you change your reverse bulbs to LEDs, then add an led reverse flood, as long as you are below 10a you'll be fine. Most bulb/ led cube (dually) combos will be well below this.

** I have verified all of my stated findings with a Snap On Vantage Scan Tool
Thanks for sharing your findings! I read you Amp PowerSteps writeup. It just made me want both truck mods even more! Yes, I swapped out my OEM reverse bulbs for a pair of the Philips (12832X1) White T16 LED Exterior Bulbs:

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H8YAX1W

Though they are pricey, they give an awesome amount of light output and I recommend them. Their 6K color matches my pair of same sized Vled 6K's that I have for my third brake cargo lights and they about the same price. The only reason I didn't go with the Phillips LED's for my cargo lights was due to the Phillips having a built-in anti-blinding shield (designed so all the light output is directed at the reverse housing's reflectors so you won't blind the drivers behind you) and they would not have fit inside of my third brake light lense.

·
Shit Disturber
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for sharing your findings! I read you Amp PowerSteps writeup. It just made me want both truck mods even more! Yes, I swapped out my OEM reverse bulbs for a pair of the Philips (12832X1) White T16 LED Exterior Bulbs:

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H8YAX1W

Though they are pricey, they give an awesome amount of light output and I recommend them. Their 6K color matches my pair of same sized Vled 6K's that I have for my third brake cargo lights and they about the same price. The only reason I didn't go with the Phillips LED's for my cargo lights was due to the Phillips having a built-in anti-blinding shield (designed so all the light output is directed at the reverse housing's reflectors so you won't blind the drivers behind you) and they would not have fit inside of my third brake light lense.

I've never seen Philips LED's, but those look nice. You do get what you pay for, so their price seems right to me. Have you found lumen output stats for these bulbs?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
These Philips are rate at 180 lumens, the VLEDs 6k white 921 bulbs are rated at 370 lumens. Having the VLEDs as my cargo lights and the Phillips as my reverse lights, I can definitely see the different. The more powerful VLEDs completely outperform the OEM halogen cargo lights, I even think they light the bed as good as the OEM LED bed lights on the '14-up models. I'll post some night pictures of my lights this evening.

www.vleds.com/bulb-type/reverse-bac...bulbs-917-918-920-921-922-923-579-1-pair.html

The Philips LED bulb is pictured in the upper right.

20140617_070916.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts