GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i thought i had the auto trac stuff figured out.... sorry bout this guys but im not gonna lie im a little confused on actually what it is.... isnt it made to allow the driveshaft to bassically free spin as if its in neutral until it senses the rear end loosing traction? because im wondering if i have to have the auto trac driveshaft to run the 10 inch whip lash lift on my 97 z71... if i dont purchase it will i be without a front driveshaft? or will i still be able to use the stock one like i can in the rear..

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

---- Ca$hmore ----

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
This is exactly why I dont even bother coming to the section much anymore. Now we're going to have a "bash whiplash" thread again.

Basically it works like this. If you can freespin your front driveline with the truck in 2wd and in park then you dont need the new front driveline right away. You can get away with the stock one but will be limited to 4wd at low speeds only because the driveway will be at very steep angles and you dont want it spinning like hell at 55mph.

If you cant turn the front driveline with the truck in 2wd and in park then you need the autotrack driveline because your front driveline turns all the time even while in 2wd but just the hubs are unlocked. I am pretty sure on your year truck you will need the new front driveshaft but you could always run without one till you feel like having one made. That being said. I am not a fan of whiplash and do feel there is better choices to be made but there stuff IS better than it used to be.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
if it's a 97 I doubt it has autotrac since autotrac was introduced in 99

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
if it's a 97 I doubt it has autotrac since autotrac was introduced in 99
Haha that's what I was thinking.... I haven't seen a truck older than 99 with autotrac.

Do you have a push button 4wd engage mechanism? If so, what are your options? 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo? Or do you also have 4auto?

·
Registered
58 Posts
im running the 10" whiplash on my 98 and its holding up fine.
as far as the driveshafts, my front is still the stock one, i had the rear shaft lengthend a couple inches.
pics3001.jpg

pics3004.jpg

·
Registered
640 Posts
pm darren250r , he has a 10 inch whiplash he's been trying to sell for a while that would fit your truck. he did a SAS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright thanks yall ill look at all that tommarow.. if it wont work ill just run 2 wheel till i can afford a new one... with the lift yall think i could clear a 39.5 irok or will i need to go ahead and throw on a 3 inch body?

---- Ca$hmore ----

·
Registered
58 Posts
alright thanks yall ill look at all that tommarow.. if it wont work ill just run 2 wheel till i can afford a new one... with the lift yall think i could clear a 39.5 irok or will i need to go ahead and throw on a 3 inch body?

---- Ca$hmore ----
i could stuff a 39.5 irok on mine if i wanted. i've got the 37's on there now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have you thought about swapping transfer cases? A 241 is a direct swap and shouldnt take you more then a day with all wiring and controlls. useally cheaper then a new CV shaft and you get rid of autocrap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright guys my front driveshaft spins..... sorry i aint been on in so long... so one last check since it spins... i wont need the new shaft? but even if i dont need the new shaft my 4x4 shouldnt be ran very hard correct? if i wanna do that i need to get a different one... sorry again for all the confusion just makin sure ive got all this right before i drop all this money

----Ca$hmore----

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
alright guys my front driveshaft spins..... sorry i aint been on in so long... so one last check since it spins... i wont need the new shaft? but even if i dont need the new shaft my 4x4 shouldnt be ran very hard correct? if i wanna do that i need to get a different one... sorry again for all the confusion just makin sure ive got all this right before i drop all this money

----Ca$hmore----
correct- you don't need a new shaft. you can run it hard, just at low speeds. the problem is that if you drive fast with it in 4x4 it will likely vibrate like hell and tear up u-joints and stuff. just don't use 4x4 on the street or for any dukes of hazard shit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts