GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil and serviced both front and rear differentials earlier tonight and well, I got an odd surprise when I poured the fluids into a storage container.

Conspicuously hidden in the bottom of the drain pan was a white nylon looking washer. I have no idea where it could've came from. I don't recall ever seeing that specific washer anywhere before, but this IS the first time the diffs have been serviced... WTF?

The only thing I could think of is that it's off the rear diff...possibly in the jumble of brake lines on top of the pumpkin...

Sound familiar to anyone? My truck is an '05 Silverado 4x4 5.3.

·
Registered
489 Posts
On the oil drain bolt there should be a washer. I don't believe it's nylon though. It should be like a hard ring towards the outside and softer rubber towards the middle. I change that out at every oil change. Most people don't.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think my oil pan drain bolt has that (or I've lost that too), but this is just a plain nylon washer...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it goes on the front drain plug for your differential.

Well, crap. That's kinda what I figured. I guess I'll keep an eye on it for leaks and save it for the next 50k miles...I'll be damned if I'm going to drain $11.20/quart fluid to put that thing back on...

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
Well, crap. That's kinda what I figured. I guess I'll keep an eye on it for leaks and save it for the next 50k miles...I'll be damned if I'm going to drain $11.20/quart fluid to put that thing back on...
Use your thumb :think:

Sorry if you don't have any though :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts