Discussion Starter #1
let me hear your thoughts on it. Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
atomoverride said:
a v6?? r u mad? get a v8 at least.
considering the fact that you have to jump up like $4000 to get the v8, yea I may be crazy... :insane:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
V6 Cruzer said:
I do and there are some other members on here that also have a 4.3L V6.
so, how does your truck move around???

·
Needs a truck
454 Posts
as much as u are aganist gettin the v8, jsut do it, ull be much happeir in the end. Also when you have a truck, work oppurnities will arise, example being, maybe some guy will ask you to tow or haul something for him for some cash, and u go to hook up and ur v6 aint goin no where with that load. Its jsut an example, but the v8 is the way to go.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the record, this truck will not tow, I doubt I will even drop the cash for the towing package...

·
Registered
736 Posts
the 4.3l actually has a considerable towing capasity compared to the v8

The 4.3l can pull 4500lbs. while the 4.8l pulls about 7400 and the 5.3l pulls 8400. A Higher gear ratio from the factory on all models will bouce the V8's capasity up a thousand lbs, But the V6 only bounces up to 5000lbs towing capasity.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My neighbor has a 1993 TBI 4.3, and he towed a 17 foot boat with it for 3 years before he bought a suburban. Never had any major troubles with it. Still runs as good as new, but then again its only got 70k on it.

·
GMFS OG Member
760 Posts
I've got a V6. It has 190,000 miles on it. It has been relatively problem free. I still wish I'd waited for a V8. If you do decide on the V6 at least get a 5 speed. It almost makes it bearable to drive every day.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black_Chrome said:
the 4.3l actually has a considerable towing capasity compared to the v8

The 4.3l can pull 4500lbs. while the 4.8l pulls about 7400 and the 5.3l pulls 8400. A Higher gear ratio from the factory on all models will bouce the V8's capasity up a thousand lbs, But the V6 only bounces up to 5000lbs towing capasity.

I always throw factory towing specs out the window considering how I like to drive. I know I have towed before with the 4.8 with a dinky little popup and fully loaded truck, probably around 4000 lbs and the engine really had to sing (5000 rpm) to stay at 70 MPH up some hills on the highway...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Badassilverado said:
Are you going w/ an extended or single cab? For some reason the dealer I bought my truck at told me (don't remember why) that in a single cab a 4.8 or 5.3 is around $2000-4000 more while in an extended cab version a 4.8 is only around $400 (hundred) more ...maybe it was just the pricing at the time.

Back on topic, the 4.3 V6 isn't rediculously slow but it's certainly not fast. It does have nice pickup whether at a stop or at highway speeds.
I will be going with the regular cab regular bed (whatever the smallest one possible is)

·
Registered
110 Posts
GMCtrk said:
I always throw factory towing specs out the window considering how I like to drive. I know I have towed before with the 4.8 with a dinky little popup and fully loaded truck, probably around 4000 lbs and the engine really had to sing (5000 rpm) to stay at 70 MPH up some hills on the highway...
werd I have the v6 in my truck and it works really hard just pulling my 4wheeler trailer

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
1,137 Posts
only v6 i would ever consider owning would be in a GNX! or maybe a Syclone.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
With the gearing in my truck, it is slow...but i can live with it. I know that the 4.3s with decent gearing would kill my truck, but i can live with it. 33s, 3.08 gears, and a TBI 350 with 115K miles on it is not a good combo for speed...havin a V6 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...but if you can wait it out and don't mind spending the extra cash, get a V8...but if you do decide on the 4.3, do get a 5 speed...it will be a lot more fun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My sister has a 94 with a 4.3. It has 160 thousand on it and it is still running great. Its not very fast but it gets good gas mileage and it tows pretty decent. It will spin the 31's off the start. Its a good engine but i would definately go with a V8.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here's how I think of it. For your driving and what you do the v6 may be sufficient (you should know). If you plan on keeping the truck forever it doesn't matter, as long as it suits your needs. You will however have a harder time selling it if you choose to do so. So you pay less but also sell it for less. As others have said, I think the V6 is a good motor. Power might be the only issue.

Here is my experiene: I had an '84 with a 305, nobody wanted that engine. Everyone who called wanted to know if it had a 350 (even though the ad said 305). As I know it, that was the only V8 available factory for that year in a 1/2 ton. I finally ended up selling it and the guy still has it and has been diving it for 4 years no problem. It had 190K on it when I sold it.

·
patio furniture breaker
563 Posts
i've got a 2003 V-6 5 speed, 2wd, RCSB. it does just fine around town and on the highway. i've even loaded it with junk and hauled it around, does great, getsgood gas milage too. its not a super fast truck, but its faster then a stupid import. besides, trucks arent designed to go fast. they ALL, even V8 trucks, have a speed gov'n at 98. these trucks get really unsatdble at those kinds of sppeds. maybe it gets better when you lower them, ill find that out soon enough ( i'm going 3/6 soon)
it all depends on what your going to use it for. for a daliy driver, with some light towing ( under 3000ibs.) the V6 should be fine. save money on the truck, and buy another toy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts