GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a loaded question. Who has one? and what do you think of it?
I am considering a whipple. I have a 2007 silverado classic CC 5.3.

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
all depends on what you want to spend and what you want out of it

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just looking for more horsepower. I am only doing a little street racing.
I dont want real radical. The most important thing for me is a reliable truck.

After a bit of reading, it looks like a 80e and a stronger rearend are also
going to be needed. I am also considering a new cadillac or denali truck
drivetran swap at some point in the future. I am going to crunch numbers.
and do research for a little while to see what makes the most sense.

Thanks,
Four2fight

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
magnuson! pm me if you want some serious info, ill be doing this swap in the next month or so.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
magnuson! pm me if you want some serious info, ill be doing this swap in the next month or so.

Did ya get the scoop on the 3.3L by chance? :secret:

·
Registered
411 Posts
The best supercharger is very subjective. For 500rwhp, I would suggest a Magnacharger. It is complete and proven. Bolt it on in 1 day.

For over 500rwhp, I would no doubt be looking at a larger twin screw supercharger such as the KB 2.6/2.8. This would provide more boost than the motor can take effeciently. Downside is there is not truck kit available yet. You can by the vette kit, but you have to reroute the intake plumbing from the drivers side to the passenger side.

I would stay away from the centrificals unless you dont mind a laggy bottom end and a larger torque converter. The right centrifical setup can definately haul ass, just needs to be worked a little differently than a roots/twinscrew.

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
it depends on what kind of power you are wanting I.E., low end grunt or more high end pull.... that will be the first step in deciding which way to go.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
which leaves the truck being the most reliable?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
which leaves the truck being the most reliable?
I'm curious as to why you want to spend $5000 to go forced induction, yet your first and apparently only question is "which one is most reliable." The magnuson blower is very reliable and many people have had great results with it.

You said that all you want is "more horse power." That's great, but it sounds like you're not ready to buy a blower based on that post. That sentence is posted on here at least once a week(I want more horsepower) and 9 times out of 10 it's just someone who likes the idea of having a supercharger. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like you just need a good tune, headers and some other bolt ons. I don't think you're ready to spend $7500 on a new supercharger, tranny, and tuning.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my second 5.3 truck. My first one is a 2002 5.3 ecsb. I had a k&n and
a tune on that truck it was alot better than stock. But not anywhere close
to what I am looking to get this time. 7,500 is not a problem. I think that I
am going to wiegh a few things and decided what I want to do. A charger is
something I am considering. But I am also considering selling my new 2007
CC LT3 5.3. The truck only has 1000 miles on it. I might just buy a 2007
Denali. This would get me a 6.0 and a a few other things I want to add to
my truck. And yes reliablity has to be first. Performance is second. And a
450-475 horsepower is my goal.

Four2fight

·
Cartmans Critters
8,871 Posts
This is my second 5.3 truck. My first one is a 2002 5.3 ecsb. I had a k&n and
a tune on that truck it was alot better than stock. But not anywhere close
to what I am looking to get this time. 7,500 is not a problem. I think that I
am going to wiegh a few things and decided what I want to do. A charger is
something I am considering. But I am also considering selling my new 2007
CC LT3 5.3. The truck only has 1000 miles on it. I might just buy a 2007
Denali. This would get me a 6.0 and a a few other things I want to add to
my truck. And yes reliablity has to be first. Performance is second. And a
450-475 horsepower is my goal.

Four2fight
You have a 07 CC LT3 with only 1000 miles on it and you want to sell it already? Wow talk about someone who knows how to waste money.....And you could start off on that truck by doing every other mod like cam, gears, exhaust, intake and so on for well under 2gs

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am thinking about doing several differant things, and yes I might sell the truck. The sticker on this truck was 35k I bought it for 25k so I dont see any waste of money here. And being that I can get what I paid for my truck, it gives me more options. It is funny to me that some of you guys are so fast to judge other members here. It is my truck, my money and my choice what I do with it. I am not trying to make anybody happy but me. Most of the members have been very helpful. A few have nothing to offer even when they think they do.

Four2fight

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought a used whipple S/c off ebay sent it to whipple to have it tweeked new wire harness 3000.00 .................Been trouble free 2 years now

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I'd suggest a KB twin screw...IMo they are far superior to whipple units...unless whipple came out with their intercooler finally. Then they might be halfway equal.

as silver-mod-o stated, the 2.6L big bore twin screw isn't out yet, ive been eyeing it very closesly for awhile now, and have plans to buy one as soon as they hit production for the trucks....

Reliable isn't really an option with racing...you can build it all you want and theres just gonna be more weaknesses that come out.

IF i were you, i'd get the big things out of the way...tranny, and rearend...supercharger is a cake walk compared to those things (especially if you decide to build your own rear up).

Dave

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm curious as to why you want to spend $5000 to go forced induction, yet your first and apparently only question is "which one is most reliable." The magnuson blower is very reliable and many people have had great results with it.

You said that all you want is "more horse power." That's great, but it sounds like you're not ready to buy a blower based on that post. That sentence is posted on here at least once a week(I want more horsepower) and 9 times out of 10 it's just someone who likes the idea of having a supercharger. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like you just need a good tune, headers and some other bolt ons. I don't think you're ready to spend $7500 on a new supercharger, tranny, and tuning.
when did i say i wanted a supercharger? I think you are mixing me up with the author of this post. Anyway, how many different options are there for superchargers... seems like a lot.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
You mean types of superchargers or companies?

Types: Roots, centrifugal, Twinscrew.

Companies (in no particular order): magna charger, paxton, ATI, procharger, Whipple, Kenne Bell, vortech, wynjammer, powerdyne...list gets bigger every year.

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
when did i say i wanted a supercharger? I think you are mixing me up with the author of this post. Anyway, how many different options are there for superchargers... seems like a lot.
ah good call for some reason I thought it was the original poster who asked that.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts