GMC Truck Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Back in 2003, I thought 350rwhp and a 14 second time slip is all I would ever need. The radix was the best kit for me 4 years ago and Magnacharger sponsored me. I gained 120rwhp the day Magncharger installed it and it had a CARB number. I think for 500rwhp, the Magnacharger is the most complete kit to get you there. I always say that.

And for most people, that is enough. It is us in here that always want more and more, and unfortunately with the radix, there are limitations and effeciency issues that arise as power levels get higher. It is not as easy as bolting on a bigger turbo or turning a knob to crank up the boost to make more power.

I never knew I was going to get this far into it, nor did I have the knowledge to put together a good turbo system. In hindsight with goals to make over 500rwhp, I would step to a front mount turbo system. I think I have maxed out my radix combo which should be good for 500rwhp with full supporting mods. It has excellent driveability, can tow, and will still get decent gas mileage. Hoping for the lower part of the 12's the next time at the track. I am hoping suspension work and weigh reduction will get me into the high 11's.
very well said... and i agree with you 100% :shake:

What bugs? This is a kit that I would willing to sell my radix for...
my buddy has a shop here locally, he is in pretty tight with kenne belle and installs alot of their products. hes told me about fitment issues, and that the intake is kind of "ghetto" rigged. supposedly they are working on the fixes.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
But anyone that I've seen who had a shop do it, had MC install it. Maybe thats the issue. I've heard good and bad things about nick's tuning. I just figured it was just like every other tuner... you can't make everyone happy. I wanted to talk to the guy in the avy, but he wasn't interested in chatting after I handed him his ass several times. :LOL: Next time I see the guy with the denali, I'll quiz him more. I know he's running 60lb injectors, 2.5" duals, and a stock tranny, but thats about all I know regarding his setup.

I really need to order the 3 disk vig. How long is the wait on those? I'm going to blow another 6k on this thing my mid summer. :bawl:

He pulled the sts because he said it was having problems with boost. I asked more questions and never got an answer. I doubt he knew the answers. They ended up giving him his money back, so who knows what the problem actually was.
Do you know Joe Mettlach?? Ask him about MC's tuning!! Im letting Keith tune my truck. He uses RoadRunner. Not the ISP but the add-on for EFILive that allows for REAL TIME tuning changes. None of that write a tune, flash it, log, re-write, reflash etc. He can change shit on the fly!! Last time he was in town he didnt have it up and running.

Crappy, lame ass tunes can put a serious damper on things. Im not saying your wrong or anything. But IMHO those guys need to get their shit retuned!

The one thing about the STS kits that make me literally ROFL is the 10 miles of hose you need for oil lines!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Do you know Joe Mettlach?? Ask him about MC's tuning!! Im letting Keith tune my truck. He uses RoadRunner. Not the ISP but the add-on for EFILive that allows for REAL TIME tuning changes. None of that write a tune, flash it, log, re-write, reflash etc. He can change shit on the fly!! Last time he was in town he didnt have it up and running.

Crappy, lame ass tunes can put a serious damper on things. Im not saying your wrong or anything. But IMHO those guys need to get their shit retuned!

The one thing about the STS kits that make me literally ROFL is the 10 miles of hose you need for oil lines!!
The name sounds familiar. What's he drive? I might know the car.

That roadrunner deal sounds sweet. Flashing the pcm after every little change gets a little old, but I like making small changes so I can see the differences in each thing I change. I'm going to have Keith help me dial in my new setup later on this summer, but I want to keep it quiet, so I don't want to do it at Vamp with 50 of the f-body guys watching. :LOL:

Oh I know tuning makes a huge difference. I realized it even more after getting EFILive and tweaking mine. I was able to add 7* of timing, and it was a night and day difference. I haven't dialed in the VE table yet because I broke a connector on the wideband, but I'm sure it'll get even better once I get the fuel dialed in.

No... they don't a retune. I like winning. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
yeah KB has a couple of small flaws to workout with the new big bore twinscrews, but so what. im sure every other company has had some sort of intermittent mistake or mishap when a brand new product was released.

give em 3 months and buy yourself a KB big bore...im pretty sure the folks over at magnacharger are already pissing their pants with its release.

Dave

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
At 3000rpm an ATI can make about 7psi and shift around 6200rpm @ 15psi. That's not bad at all. Plus it helps for traction from the hole shot... won't overwhelm the suspension. With the closer ratio 80E it'll really rock!

I'm on the fence for the ATI F1 (F1 fits the P1/D1 bracket) or the 3.3L Whipple.

With the ATI I could also use the L92 top end I posted on a 4.125" bore block as they have large 2.08" intake valves and the supporting intake manifold. The 3.3 will have me use the Starr Perf IC base that matches stock style heads, which are still badass. We're talking about 300cfm on the intake side with a slightly larger valve!

Not sure how much the LS7/L92 heads flow but I assume it's a bit more than the LS6 style cast. I can only hope that Starr or Whipple makes a base to be utilized with those new heads.

Also, all you really need to build the ATI is the bracket and the HU. All the other shit will just be minimal fab to setup, minus the tune.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm on the fence for the ATI F1 (F1 fits the P1/D1 bracket) or the 3.3L Whipple .
I would take the 3.3 Whipple... Off idle boost make it more fun to drive on the street. With the right traction set up, you can utilize a relatively small stall and still have some awesome 60's. Large stalls effect driveability and towing capability. A twin screw will also make more power under the curve than a centrifical where most driving is done. I bet a twinscrew effeciently at 10psi vs. a centrifical at 10psi, twin screw will be faster.
Not sure how much the LS7/L92 heads flow but I assume it's a bit more than the LS6 style cast. I can only hope that Starr or Whipple makes a base to be utilized with those new heads.
The L92's flow [email protected] on the intake and [email protected] on the exhaust side. Im not sure if the L76 intake has fuel/air distribution issues like the ls1/ls6/truck maifolds have with cyl. #7 going lean??? Doesnt the starr set up come with an equal length runner intake manifold?

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
I would take the 3.3 Whipple... Off idle boost make it more fun to drive on the street. With the right traction set up, you can utilize a relatively small stall and still have some awesome 60's. Large stalls effect driveability and towing capability. A twin screw will also make more power under the curve than a centrifical where most driving is done. I bet a twinscrew effeciently at 10psi vs. a centrifical at 10psi, twin screw will be faster.

The L92's flow [email protected] on the intake and [email protected] on the exhaust side. Im not sure if the L76 intake has fuel/air distribution issues like the ls1/ls6/truck maifolds have with cyl. #7 going lean??? Doesnt the starr set up come with an equal length runner intake manifold?
Whipples are great. But no uh.... Intercooler!!

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
whipple has been coming out with their intercooler for awhile...it'll be interesting to see the design when/if they ever get out of the testing phase.

yet another reason to go KB twin screw

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Does everyone that knows something about FI (not at all me) agree that the radix is the way to go to maintain good, daily driveability (tranny/suspension strain, gas mileage, any other wear and tear) over all the other kits including STS?

I slim to none mechanical knowledge and won't even be buying any high dollar mods for at least a year or two, but in the mean time, it is fun to learn and research. I do plan on eventually throwing in some kind of FI eventually. I would look for something i can just throw on and never have to worry about damaging my truck or having to upgrade other stuff (other than a tune). Radix the way to go for me? I am interested in the STS as well (something about a turbo on a V8 sounds nice to me)...any reason i should lose interest in the STS?

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Does everyone that knows something about FI (not at all me) agree that the radix is the way to go to maintain good, daily driveability (tranny/suspension strain, gas mileage, any other wear and tear) over all the other kits including STS?

I slim to none mechanical knowledge and won't even be buying any high dollar mods for at least a year or two, but in the mean time, it is fun to learn and research. I do plan on eventually throwing in some kind of FI eventually. I would look for something i can just throw on and never have to worry about damaging my truck or having to upgrade other stuff (other than a tune). Radix the way to go for me? I am interested in the STS as well (something about a turbo on a V8 sounds nice to me)...any reason i should lose interest in the STS?
Take a look at an STS install. Then look at a Radix install. That alone will change your mind! Under the hood of an STS truck is a fucking mess. The Radix isnt. Ill see if I can find some pics.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts

yeah, radix is what youre looking for. the tranny is going to need some work no matter what, but this setup is the easiest

Whipples are great. But no uh.... Intercooler!!
was just there today, they are no farther along than they were 6 months ago.

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
yeah, radix is what youre looking for. the tranny is going to need some work no matter what, but this setup is the easiest

was just there today, they are no farther along than they were 6 months ago.
Dam. I was really, really, really hoping to see an IC for that blower!!!!!!! Would be ideal!!!

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
yeah it would be, i would have been first in line to buy one too! maybe one day....

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
yeah, i still dont like the idea of running about 20ft of oil line underneath my truck either, or the oil booster pump, etc. Shit just keeps getting longer and longer with all the cluster fuck of hoses and wires included with the STS install.

Dave

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts

Even with a 3k stall, 7psi isn't bad at all to launch. I still prefer the 3.3 to get a big box moving also. :D

Okay so about 30cfm more than ported LS6, not a huge amount. BUT still serious flow in the great scheme of things. My guess yeah they have the No 7 issue, no clue why that happens.

Yes, the Starr IC base is equal length. That even with a 2.3 + LS6 heads would really make some silly power.

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
"Radix Trend!!"
Hey, for the record, i ordered my radix years ago, long before i found any gm forums. Anyway, imo what do you need the power for? Do you want a certain sound? Track? DD street warrior? Towing? I need bottom end for towing so positive displacement was my best bet. Plus, it put my 4wd on 35's into the 14's.

Best pic i have right now
th_101_1397.jpg

and a vid that i can't figure out how to embed
th_DSCF4401.jpg

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
i watched a horse power tv episode where they threw a twin turbo STS kit on a vette and it didn't seem too difficult or messy. Is is worse for us because it's a different vehicle?

I would get FI to hit the strip every now and then and just have more fun mashing the gas on the street.

What kind of times could i expect from the intercooled radix and a tune?

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
w/ your 4wd and 3.42's i'd say mid 14's if you hook well.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
are engine swaps cheaper? say ls1 or ls2?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
all depends on where you shop....you can get an ls1 for around $1400 average on ebay. LS2's...lil more pricey (around the $2000 range used still).

Keep in mind this is local IL pricing, not alot of new shit thats been ruined yet, so theres a larger demand without any wrecked cars to give the supply.

every area is different on prices...

In general engine swaps are cheaper and open up alot more ideas to get power. With the gen3's, its almost as simple as bolting an intake up.

Dave

41 - 60 of 64 Posts