GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
794 Posts
talk to DemoN, he'll tell you anything you need to know about making a V-6 fast

Stu :bowtie:
 

·
rockin wheelies
Joined
·
284 Posts
I have a 4.3l inmy truck and it has 33bfg's and i can still burnout you can put an air intake, programer, and a throttle body spacer. These always help. :bowtie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
i'm runnin a 4.3 in my 01...so far i've got an aftermarket air intake, helix power tower, removed the air resonator(or whatever its called) on the back of the intake, MSD 6A box, Taylor plug wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, flowmaster 40 series muffler with a turndown in front of the rear axle, optima red top, nothing to major but she gets me around.....haven't taken her to the track, hopefully i'll have a 4.10 in the rearend before i do though
 

·
GMFS OG Member
Joined
·
760 Posts
I'm running a 4.3 right now. All i've done to it is flipped the air cleaner and a flowmaster. I've also got a 350 going together for install by summer. :driver:
 

·
It's Jerry's World
Joined
·
3,573 Posts
dude forget about making the 4.3 fast, i have im just trying to make it last :read:


a swap would be faster/ a ton more fun :bowtie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far i have....

-Gibson Doul Exhaust
-Airaid Intake
-Airaid Thottle Body Spacer
-Custom Ram Air
-Block Breather Filter
-Platinum +4 Plugs
-New Wires

The trucks been to the track twice, each time i ran i only had the exhaust, intake, and, tbs.(half tank gas) i have discovered that if by putting my transmission in 3rd gear, i run .6 seconds slower. which is a huge boost for the 1/4mile. resulting in a final time of 17.08 seconds. Probably something as simple as octane booster or even a better reaction time will put me in the 16's. Im planning on a Hypertech programmer next, and im looking at this new product, check it out http://www.vararam.com/ :bowtie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
I roll a v6, all i have done is an exhuast and cold air intake, it actually woke the motor up a little bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Black_Chrome said:
Probably something as simple as octane booster or even a better reaction time will put me in the 16's. Im planning on a Hypertech programmer next, and im looking at this new product, check it out http://www.vararam.com/ :bowtie:
The reaction time has absolutely nothing to do with your elapsed time. The timer doesn't start until you break the staging beam. You can sit at the tree for 5 seconds, and it will still give you the same ET as it would if you cut a perfect light. :read:
 

·
ExhaustSoundzSeniorMember
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
holy shnikes, 17s in the 1/4! whew, a vw bus could beat that! :anitoof: J/K guys. :LOL: :ninja:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,816 Posts
Black_Chrome said:
So far i have....

-Gibson Doul Exhaust
-Airaid Intake
-Airaid Thottle Body Spacer
-Custom Ram Air
-Block Breather Filter
-Platinum +4 Plugs
-New Wires

The trucks been to the track twice, each time i ran i only had the exhaust, intake, and, tbs.(half tank gas) i have discovered that if by putting my transmission in 3rd gear, i run .6 seconds slower. which is a huge boost for the 1/4mile. resulting in a final time of 17.08 seconds. Probably something as simple as octane booster or even a better reaction time will put me in the 16's. Im planning on a Hypertech programmer next, and im looking at this new product, check it out http://www.vararam.com/ :bowtie:

those platium +4 spark plugs aren't going to help you any. If anything, they will hurt. Those four fancy tips on there only heat up, increasing the chances that you're going to get knock. It doesn't really help the spark out either, no matter what electricity will find the path of least resistance. Also, platinum doesn't conduct electricity as well as copper, but it lasts longer. So, if you want the strongest spark possible, get a regular copper core plug with one negative electrode. If you want them to last 100,000 miles, get a single negative electrode platinum plug. This is the reason I run 99 cent copper core single electrode delco plugs.

The only reason people ever see any gains from split tip spark plugs is that they probably needed new plugs anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DUBrado said:
mine ran [email protected] when it was stock
then I modded it for gas mileage (pulleys, CAI, exhuast, spacer)
Damn dude, i cant believe you ran 16's with a stock 4.3L I dint understand how mine could be so much slower from the factory. Have you taken yours to the track with the new mods? O, and for the hemi guy, hows your tranny? do they really suck that bad? :joke:
 

·
Just Cruz'n
Joined
·
133 Posts
You will be able to get your truck in the 16's in no time when you get your hypertech because I think that is what got me to run a 16.9 in the 1/4. All I had done at that time was Flowmaster exhaust, a AirAide intake, and the Hypertech programer. Also have you tried removing the passenger headlight out to force more air into the intake? That's what I did and when I put the headlight back in it made it 2.10ths slower on my final run. Right now I am planning to go to the track soon when the weather gets good over here.

Here is some of the mods I have done so far:

Mac Performance cold air intake (ditched the AirAide)
PowerAide throttle body spacer
Flowmaster exhaust dump off (used to have tips out the back)
Hypertech programer
MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires
NGK TR55 spark plugs (haven't put them in yet)
JBA Headers (waiting for them to be shipped to me)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
V6 Cruzer said:
You will be able to get your truck in the 16's in no time when you get your hypertech because I think that is what got me to run a 16.9 in the 1/4. All I had done at that time was Flowmaster exhaust, a AirAide intake, and the Hypertech programer. Also have you tried removing the passenger headlight out to force more air into the intake? That's what I did and when I put the headlight back in it made it 2.10ths slower on my final run. Right now I am planning to go to the track soon when the weather gets good over here.

Here is some of the mods I have done so far:

Mac Performance cold air intake (ditched the AirAide)
PowerAide throttle body spacer
Flowmaster exhaust dump off (used to have tips out the back)
Hypertech programer
MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires
NGK TR55 spark plugs (haven't put them in yet)
JBA Headers (waiting for them to be shipped to me)
That is my next mod planned, interesting how DUbrado ran a 16.9 stock. but im not sure if he had the 4.3 or the 4.8 I will be very curious to find out your new track times with the headers, are you planning on adding Pulleys? :bowtie:
 

·
Just Cruz'n
Joined
·
133 Posts
I don't think I am not going to go with pulleys because I don't want to just buy the set and don't use the altenator pulley. Reason being is that it will kill my battery with the stereo system I have.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top