GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed new rotors and pads on my truck and they are squeakin something terrible. Anyone have any ideas what it could be. I know it is the rear bc i did the front first and drove it around for a few days b/c they sent me the wrong rear rotors. Then once i put the rears on it started happening.
It seems to be worst when i am traveling very slowly. Like 15 mph and just kinda hitting the break coasting. It squeaks something terrible and i have no idea why. Help.... its really annoying.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
BRAKES! :read:

TO BREAK SOMETHING is to make it come apart

Next, did you use cheapass pads?

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
did u lube the sliders and the back of the bads, they could be binding up and not depressing evenly, this will cause the bad to not sit flush, allowing air to get in the small area causing this whistle so high pitched its a squeak

·
ThriLLHo
30 Posts
Mine did that too after new rotors and pads and my prob was the rotor hat (i think that's what it's called) was rubbing against the inside of the rotor. I just greased it up good and realigned it even tho it says not to and it went away.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont believe the pads are cheap? The rotors are drilled and slotted. I dont know if that has anything to do with it. Ill look at those options tomorrow before work. thanks guys.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Unfortunately this can happen even with the best of parts. Some brake squeal is considered normal especially with semi-metallic brake pads. Brake squeal is caused by vibration between the brake pads, rotors, and calipers. Some brands of semi-metallic pads are inherently noisier than others because of the ingredients used in the manufacture of the friction material. Many performance pads have more metallic in the pad and thus can be more prone to squeal.

Did you "bed in" or "season" the new brakes? Failure to do that properly could contribute to the noise.

Most DIY'ers are not aware of this step.

Burnishing Pads and Rotors
2002 GM Service Manual page 5-70.

Caution: Road test a vehicle under safe conditions and while obeying all traffic laws. Do not attempt any maneuvers that could jeopardize vehicle control. Failure to adhere to these precautions could lead to serious personal injury and vehicle damage.

Burnishing the brake pads and brake rotors is necessary in order to ensure that the braking surfaces are properly prepared after service has been performed on the disc brake system.

This procedure should be performed whenever the disc brake rotors have been refinished or replaced, and/or whenever the disc brake pads have been replaced.
1. Select a smooth road with little or no traffic.
2. Accelerate the vehicle to 48 km/h (30 mph).
Important: Use care to avoid overheating the brakes while performing this step.
3. Using moderate to firm pressure, apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a stop. Do not allow the brakes to lock.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until approximately 20 stops have been completed. Allow sufficient cooling periods between stops in order to properly burnish the brake pads and rotors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
word!!!!

use ac delco brake pads if you have'nt. I know that I would not put on any other brand, simply because they suck, make noise and brake dust. been there done that.

Have you tried Hawk pads?

I wouldn't use anything else. I've been through a bunch.

Assuming the OP ruled out mechanical issues (pad/caliper interference) and you think it's a matter of squeaky/grinding pads, just re-bed them.....

I've bed all the pads I've used as instructed by Hawk with ZERO noise problems. Even with Hawk HP+ which many people complain about being noisy.

Make several brake applications from 35 to 5.....10 or so.....Make about 3 or 4 applications from 55 to 5........From 35 are close together but nice and easy. The higher speed onese are higher speed and hard.....Don't drive the truck more than a couple miles before parking it for at least several hours to cool completely.

EDIT: I should have read all the posts the one above beat me to it. FWIW I went through a BUNCH of pads autoxing the Camaro I had, both on it, and the 1/2 ton truck I towed with a 97 Z71....Plus pad swaps on many other vehicles. Including the Duramax I had. HAWK all the way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts