GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got both batteries replaced 3 weeks ago, and it wssn't even that cold tonight, -12 celcius. I went to go turn it over and the truck was completely dead, nothing. This happened before and I Thought by replacing the batteries it was good, but I Guess not. Could it maybe be my alternator?

I think I'm just going to start plugging my truck in all the time for now on.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Check the voltage gauge in your truck while idling and while driving. Should be just a little difference, usually around 14+/- volts. You may also have a slow drain while parked. Start at the fuse box. Some things will always pull some power, but some things should not. If you run a lead and see if something that should be off is on. ( i.e. The driver's side power window are drawing power ) Alarms and audio systems have been know to do it when installed incorrectly.

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean, running a lead?
I made an appointment to take it into the dealership tommorow fore some AVR test thats supose to check my battery, alternator, etc. I think my dvd screen might have something to do with it because once I hooked it back up this started happening. But it may be just a coinicidence i think

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked both batteries while it was idling. Both pulsed between 13.94-13.99 volts

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,740 Posts
Pull the ground off each battery.

Barely touch the ground screw to the batteries ground terminal... then the other.

If you see an arc there is a draw on the system pulling the power out of the batteries.

Running down the draw is another thing!

Make sure the radios theft lock is turned off or the radio will lock unless you have the code.

P.S. if anyone needs to unlock a non RDS Delco radio... P.M. me for the codes.

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pull the ground off each battery.

Barely touch the ground screw to the batteries ground terminal... then the other.

If you see an arc there is a draw on the system pulling the power out of the batteries.

Running down the draw is another thing!

Make sure the radios theft lock is turned off or the radio will lock unless you have the code.

P.S. if anyone needs to unlock a non RDS Delco radio... P.M. me for the codes.
thanks for the advice man, I'll go give it a try. But how do i turn the theft lock off?

·
Ballin' on a Budget
2,113 Posts
The radio memory, and i'm pretty sure the pcm always take a few volts when off, but not enough to kill a battery. You will always have a slight load when the key is off. Check the amperage when its off w/ a digital multimeter.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Running a lead, I mean that you test the current. The way I got around theftlock was is turn the key to the on position before disconnecting the battery. Just make sure you turn the key off before putting it back on ( just to be safe ).

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the voltage while my truck was off and itboth were going 12.7
When I go to turn it over I notice the voltage guage in my truck stay almost exactly between 9 and 14. Does that indicate I'm drawing power from somewhere?

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Will draw when starting. That's when the batteries do the work and the altertnator is barely turning. As long as it cranks crisp, the batteries are good. If you have a draw, you could only tell while the vehicle is off. In the mean time, a tickle charger might be a consideration. Many on the market now, even with timers. Will keep you powered up, regardless of cold or drain.

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was draining when I was at the dealership today, 200amps, my fucking glove box light was the problem, so I just pulled the bulb. IT cost me 125 bucks, gay. Especially since I was the one who trouble shooted it to the gm tech when we were in the shop.

When I test it now it reads 21.7

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I should have mentioned that those are common problems too. BMW get drains all the time from Glovebox and truck lights. BTW at $125, you got raped.

·
Bla*k *n Bla*k
6,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
your telling me, it was supose to be a $45 electrical test, but turned into an hour and a half. I had to pay those fuckers their full $75/hour. I told them my truck better start for now on or else I'm burbning down the dealership

1 - 13 of 13 Posts