GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does GM offer both the 4.8 and the 5.3. The mileage and performance are not really that far apart. I would think the cost of offering both would out weigh the benifits to GM. I know they play the game to charge more for the 5.3. But I dont see the need for both engines.

Four2fight

·
a.k.a. turbodan
3,220 Posts
well, if you want to go that far, why put the 4.3 in a fullsize truck? it doesnt get better mileage at all. I think it would have been a good idea to go from the 4.8 and have a 6.0 as the only option, until you got into the HD trucks. I think they should spend some more time on drivetrain parts than worrying about 4.8 and 5.3 stuff

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont see a need for the 4.3 in a full size myself. I would like to see the 5.3. 6.0 and the LS7 engines for the trucks. Better yet I want the old way of making all the choices. Then you could have the truck the way you want it.

Four2fight

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i was just talking to gm engineers about that the other day actually. It sounds like they put it in there so they can charge more for the 5.3.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
i was just talking to gm engineers about that the other day actually. It sounds like they put it in there so they can charge more for the 5.3.
:read: exactly what i was gonna say. plus they know how shitty the drivetrains are so they cant offer the 6.0 in these.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
yeah they really should get rid of the 4.3, make the 4.8 the standard work truck motor. I like the 4.8 really, just a destroked 5.3 so i can make my truck a .3 cheaper than what it would cost from the dealer as an option.

why offer a 6.0, why not just a 4.8/5.3/6.2? LS7 will never see a truck as a standard option...maybe if they release the SS silverado concept, but still...it'll be significantly lower horsepower because the Vette is GM's main attraction, and the Camaro has more presedence (SP?) than a truck.

Dave

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gm kind of kicked things off with the LS1 engine in the trucks in 99. But they have stalled out in the horsepower race since then. The new trucks only increased in horsepower slightly over the classic. Dodge has the 345 hp Hemi, and the new Toyota has a 380 hp engine available. I think Ford is last in the hp game. I am hopeing GM comes up with a far reaching SS program. Something like Dodge has done with the SRT program. We may not get to see the LS7 in a production truck. But the next generation SS truck needs to jump the gap in horspower. Maybe a LS6 SS truck. I would be happy with a LS2 for now.

Four2fight

·
Member # 625
968 Posts
The 4.3L is cheap to manufacture and that is why it is in GM trucks, mainly work and fleet trucks. The cost of a V6 is quite a bit cheaper than V8.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
The 4.3L is cheap to manufacture and that is why it is in GM trucks, mainly work and fleet trucks. The cost of a V6 is quite a bit cheaper than V8.
yeah, its what, 75%?!?! I guess it is older technology and the machiens have been paid for over and over again...but whatever...i can't see it being THAT much cheaper to manufacturer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had about 10-12 gm trucks. I currently own three. A 07 Suburban, 07 classic CC and a 02 ECSB. I would have never considered the 4.3 for the trucks. I would be very interested to know what the percentages are of trucks bought with 4.3 4.8 and 5.3

Four2fight

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
I have had about 10-12 gm trucks. I currently own three. A 07 Suburban, 07 classic CC and a 02 ECSB. I would have never considered the 4.3 for the trucks. I would be very interested to know what the percentages are of trucks bought with 4.3 4.8 and 5.3

Four2fight
the autozone site has that shit for each year car and truck...i know 02 tahoes had 18% 4.8s and the rest 5.3s...lol

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
again nothing is wrong with a 4.8/5.3....some people like to get more than 13mpg (all my dads 05 2500HD RCLB gets)...

5.3 was an obvious choice...sure the 6.0 is still a small block, but its overkill with bad mpg, and given end user research, not a large portion cares about how much hp/tq a truck makes, nor will they modify the hell out of it. Consumers, especially within the past year, are focusing more on MPG rather than raw HP...thats why 1/2tons have so many engine options available.

if you want hp/tq...your gonna have to step up to a 3/4 ton, and in that same spectrum, since it seems to be a comparable situation, why bother having a 6.0? 8.1L and Dmax are better anyway, more hp/tq plus you already know that mileage wont be great since your buying the truck to use the truck.

Dave

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
5.3 was an obvious choice...sure the 6.0 is still a small block, but its overkill with bad mpg....
Care to explain your logic behind this? There are plenty of guys averaging over 20mpg with rcsb 6.0 swaps.

There are a bunch of reasons why they offer many different engine sizes.

1st reason if for work trucks. They can sell these super cheap and companies know that their employees don't need anything more than a v6 to get them around and occasionally haul some tools or a ladder.

2nd reason-like stated they can charge more for the v8's

3rd- Alot of people don't like big engines. They see it as the same logic as you do....the bigger the engine, the best the gas mileage...not true....at least with our genIII lsx based engines

4th-There just isn't a big market for rcsb trucks with big engines. Most people need a truck for a truck, meaning they don't need all that horse power to get them around. If they want to tow something they step up to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

If everybody thought the way us truck guys do, base model silverado's would be a rcsb with a 6.0 with a suspension that sits dead level and has no molding or badges.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
IMO, the 4.3 makes it affordable for buyers in the market for a "cheap" fullsize truck. Have you seen how low they price the base models and w/t models with the 4.3 engine? 2wd's without any bells or whistles go for $12k brand new. Compare that to a V8 that is hard to find in a base model and you're paying $18k or more.

IMO, it's a good way for someone who needs a truck bed to haul bulky items that don't weigh a ton. It's also good for people who need or want trucks, but don't need the towing performance that a V8 offers.

IMO, it's also good for companies who need/use fullsize trucks but don't need a 300hp V8. Companies use the w/t or base model V6 trucks as their fleet vehicles. They can save a ton of money by buying a V6 without any fancy gadgets, yet they can still fit a crapload of equipment in their trucks.

It's GM's way of offering a fullsize truck with a mid-size truck's peformance. Believe you me, there's a pretty big market for it. Come to think of it though, I don't think the Tundra or Titan are available in a V6. They do have base models tough. The Rams and F-150s both have V6's though.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
explain my logic...hrm prolly could as its pretty simple to explain...

Im talking factory only optioned trucks, no motor swaps, etc. never seen a 6.0 in a 1/2ton from the factory as a production vehicle (unless, you consider maybe the SSS as a 1/2ton).

never seen a 6.0 RCSB from the factory either.

bare bones RCLB 2500HD 4x4/2x4 get shit for mileage...course they arent meant to get 20+mpg from the factory. I'll retract my previous statement...our 6.0 got 15mpg on a couple of tanks...my mistake.

I dont mind the 6.0 besides the "if you wanna make horsepower with a gasser, you HAVE to go 6.0 mentality/bandwagon" Cuz the people who say that (besides dan, who actually had a good reason to go 6.0) are rediculously retarded. And from what ive read/seen over the past couple of years most of the 6.0 swaps are done by someone else, which makes it even more fcked up that you cant even do such a simple job, yet you feel the need to consistantly reccomend a 6.0 swap, when an equal amount of power can be made with a 5.3, and from some articles ive read a 5.7 for about the same cost, with added benefits of keeping weight off the front end. since its not a steel pos.

Klem....your right, and toyota/nissan are taking a huge hit from sales as well.

GM sold over 4.5 million vehicles last year, where as nissan/toyota combined, barely got 1.1million sales.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
6.0 should have been standard issue in my Z with an 80E and a 9.5" SF. Heavy Half or somesuch. :imo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts