GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
On my way up!
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my stock fog's went out a couple of months ago and the only thing available (except for dealer) were the Putco bulbs. Well I replaced them with 6K HID fogs a couple of days ago only to find out that the passenger one melted! It ruined my housing as well...I'm surprised that it didn't catch fire honestly. And this was only about 3 months!!! :flame:

Just thought you guys should know! :shake:

·
Detailer & PC Tech
2,785 Posts
hmm, did you run them all the time.

i have a set. one busted on me, so i stopped turning them on, but didn't notice any melting issues.

5202 hid's on the way !!! woo hoo

·
Resident Metal Head
5,527 Posts
I've heard this issue before with them.

good heads up though.
:shake:

·
On my way up!
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm, did you run them all the time.

i have a set. one busted on me, so i stopped turning them on, but didn't notice any melting issues.

5202 hid's on the way !!! woo hoo
No just at night. It's also hot as hell here right now so that might have helped...

You'll be extremely happy with the HID's. I love them.

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
Im disapointed they are selling something that is melting housings. the Chevy fog housings are the biggest housing i have seen the 5202 go into so far so if it is melting those, it is definately melting other housings as well...

·
2,595 Posts
I have 880's siliconed in and they're on every night and mine are just fine :shrug:
Watch the bulbs because once the silicone starts to melt, the bulb will sag and get close enough to your housings to burn or melt. Im not saying that to discourage you, just to give you a heads up so you can re-silicone or upgrade

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I ran my stock ones 24/7....

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
I still need to order the ones from Spencer and actually HookUp these fogs!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Watch the bulbs because once the silicone starts to melt, the bulb will sag and get close enough to your housings to burn or melt. Im not saying that to discourage you, just to give you a heads up so you can re-silicone or upgrade
I got the 880's before the 5202's were available. They fit perfectly in the housing, just don't lock in. I used high temp silicone as well.

BUT when they burn out or I have any problems out of them, I'm sending you a PM for sure, I'm buying my next kit from you. I should have waited and got the 5202's I had no idea anyone was in the process of making to made them.......:worship:

·
2,595 Posts
I still need to order the ones from Spencer and actually HookUp these fogs!
Why aren't your fogs hooked up? Are they the upgraded bumper caps? I've done 1 upgrade, it really isnt hard. I think it took me about an hour on our finance guys truck. He got a w/t with hand crank windows and had 20's on it before he left the lot...anyways, if you have any questions with the upgrade, let me know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts