GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gotta be Lifted
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my truck for about 4 years now. It had the exhaust when I bought the truck. The exhaust always sounded fine but I new it was choking the motor...true duals from cats, 3" tubing all the way back into single in/out flow 40's. the muffler are way past the axle with turndown tips almost right under the bumper. Never bothered with it bc I was always buying other shit.

I was cleaning off my rear axle the other day and i notice the mufflers are starting to rust through and when i hit them, you can hear shit in the bottom of them moving around like there is sand inside. Time for a new setup...

I like deep rumble sound, but I am afraid of loosing that sound by switching to a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow. I have a lifted truck with 37's, so I need some torque and power, but I want the good Flowmaster like sound. What are your suggestions?

Here is a pic on MSPaint....no working camera...
untitled.gif

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
if you like your setup so much just go with new flowmasters

magnaflow is a goodsounding muffler to

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
flowmasters are prone to doing that. i have a set that i just took off of my truck when i installed my LTs and corsa..they rattled before but after i cut them off, i managed to get almost all of the rusted insides to fall out of the bottom. if you still want that sound, i'd guess you'd need to go with the flowmasters or a V-force muffler; however, i personally wouldnt. also, that dual 3" pipe is definitely overkill! if you want to regain some power, go back with a y-pipe into a single inlet muffler...if you want to run duals, get a single inlet/dual outlet muffler:imo

·
Gotta be Lifted
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess what I am trying to say is there a straight flowing muffler that has a deep rumble like a flowmaster with having that gross raspy crackle sound.

·
Gotta be Lifted
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
..or not. That is probably the most raspy crackling muffler ever.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
you said with the raspy sound?

ok then magnaflow would be your best bet get stainless so they wont rust like a mofo

magnaflow or bullets arent raspy not flowmaster sound but sound good

edit where you from in la

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
:jester: my buddy had dynomax bullets on his truck. they sounded okay BUT he had the 12" chamber and they made a popping noise. another local guy had the 18" casing and i dont recall his making any popping noise, but they were deep sounding:imo

·
Gotta be Lifted
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you said with the raspy sound?

ok then magnaflow would be your best bet get stainless so they wont rust like a mofo

magnaflow or bullets arent raspy not flowmaster sound but sound good

edit where you from in la

my bad, i meant to say "without" the raspy. im from alexandria. where u from?

·
I miss you little guy
1,546 Posts
I'm running dual 12" bullets on my truck, it sounds niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Green Team!!!
638 Posts
flows are nice and great sounding but the welds on the baffels will break if you have a lot of power. Also yes rusting is an issue on the flows even the stainless i had rusted. But for the price they are ok. Corsa, borla, or bassani will be a much better built muffler for ya

·
DisgruntleD
3,822 Posts
What motor do you have? If its a small block, dual 3 inch is excessive. I have a single 3 inch spintech system on mine, nice and deep, no rasp, fairly quiet at cruising speeds. Definitely louder than a Magnaflow. I posted a sound clip of mine a while ago, I'm going to go look for it and link to it.

·
Serious!
1,546 Posts
i would say get a 10 series. Thats what i have an LOVE them. Sounds good just cruzin around and when you get on it everyone knows! No raspy sound either or poping

·
Gotta be Lifted
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have the 5.3. does anyone hear anything bout the magnaflow magnapacks?? i read on performancetrucks.net that they actually sounded better than the bullets.

·
EMBRACE WHAT'S LEFT
3,487 Posts
im in new iberia

my great grandmother used to live in the ghetto in alexandria near macauthor

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I'm in Leander, just west of Hineston.

Well, I'm happy with my Magnaflow I have on. It all depends on you though, depending what kind of sound you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts