GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trucks been doing it for a few months now and I havent really looked into it before. I dunno if it got worse lately or i just notice it more. Whenever i make a left turn and once the steering wheel gets to a certain position i get a wierd vibe in the steering wheel. What could cause it? It was doing it before my drop so i dont think its drop related. It doesnt do it when I'm standing still. Just when moving. Any ideas? Should i change out the tie rod ends? They are original with 50k miles on them.

I dont think it does it when I turn right or if it does then its not very often.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:hmm: i do notice some mild shaking in the front when i'm slowing down under 20mph. I dont see how the rotor would affect turning left. It does it even when i dont apply the brakes.

Not sure what you mean about going up large hills. No problems going up hills.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
Front hubs? Yours is 4x4 right? When mine went out it would grind and vibe when turning one way but not the other. I replaced both though just to be safe.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya it's 4x4. The front hubs were tight when i checked them a few weeks ago. No play in them at all. Also the tie rods feel tight too. No side to side movement from the wheel.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think its brake related. I was messing around in the driveway and cranked the wheel from side to side and noticed that it did it when i turned the wheel all the way to the left and then jerked it to the right. So what can cause this? Steering shaft?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
a vibration or more of like the wheel jerking to one way?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vibration and a noise coming from the steering wheel

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
should i replace the intermediate steering shaft? The PO said he had it replaced but i dunno..

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the clock spring. I've been reading that it could cause noises at certain angles but i have no idea what the clock spring is or does.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Cross posting, mother fucker.:lol: I just responded to your other post in the other thread. The clock spring is like a coiled up snake, flattened. It goes around and around. With each end anchored, when the spring is moved, opposite of it's of the curl, it tightens. But, at the same time, being spring loaded, it wants to "spring" outwards.

I'm doing a horrible job explaining. If I was showing you one, you'd understand what I mean, within 2 seconds.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cross posting, mother fucker.:lol: I just responded to your other post in the other thread. The clock spring is like a coiled up snake, flattened. It goes around and around. With each end anchored, when the spring is moved, opposite of it's of the curl, it tightens. But, at the same time, being spring loaded, it wants to "spring" outwards.

I'm doing a horrible job explaining. If I was showing you one, you'd understand what I mean, within 2 seconds.
Sorry i was on a search mission last night.

So what your saying is it can't be the clock spring?

I dont think it would be in the rotor/hub/wheel/rod since i could get it to do it while parked. And the loud groaning noise seems to be coming from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
It could be. Without being there, I am not ready to dismiss it. Being at a dead stop, the linkage would have to be very bad to cause your problem. Check your PS fluid yet? The pump may be jacked up.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It could be. Without being there, I am not ready to dismiss it. Being at a dead stop, the linkage would have to be very bad to cause your problem. Check your PS fluid yet? The pump may be jacked up.
Damn i might have to take it in somewhere. I dont wanna waste money guessing :(.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Do you have a way to jack up the front end. If you do, checking the front end out yourself may not be as difficult as you think.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have a way to jack up the front end. If you do, checking the front end out yourself may not be as difficult as you think.
The front end seems tight. Balljoints are good and so are tie rods. No play in the hubs. I just had everything apart a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think whats really pissing me off is that my steering wheel isnt straight :pissed:

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going to bump this up. I'm pretty sure something is shot on my front end. I can wiggle the steering wheel when driving from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock and the truck still moves straight. Could the groaning noise be my steering box?

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think pitman arm and idler arm need to be replaced but my truck only has 50k miles on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts