GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered 285's instead of 265's for my truck. I have read numerous times that it won't rub, and numerous times that it will. So here we go, will it or won't it?

The new tires I got are almost an inch wider at the treads it seems. Is that right? I know they are taller, but are they suppose to be wider, or is it just the variations in the tires and how much tread hits the ground.

I am going from the Wilderness AT's, to Nitto Terra Grapplers.

I guess it really doesn't matter, cause I already ordered them and received them. If nothing else, I can let you know if the rub.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I take it you're talking about the 285/75r16's? Are you running a 16x8 or a 16x10 rim?

That tire is basically a skinny 33" tire.

Either way, I think you'll have some rubbing issues. You may need to trim the front valence, and you might rub on the backside of the fender, if you hit bumps while you're turning.

I don't think you made a bad choice on tire size, but you'll probably have to crank up a little and trim a tad.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
No rubbing. I have 285/75/16 BFG's on 16x7.5 rims, no rubbing. and its not even a Z :crazy: It did rub but then when I got an alignment I told him that they were and he adjusted them up just high enough so they don't rub at all, even offroad.

·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what size rim I am running. It is just the basic rim from the 2001 Z71's.
wheel.gif

There's a picture. Not my truck but the rims. I hope those didn't come in 2 different widths.

Also, I should have mentioned that I do have my T'bars cranked about an 1 1/2 to 2 inches, trying to get rid of the rake.

Will that help?

·
[>
3,255 Posts
You will be fine IMO.. if anything you might have to give it a little turn on the torsion bars. With those stock wheels it should keep them tucked nicely

·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate all the quick responses guys. I read these boards often, but do not post a whole lot, as I don't know a whole lot...lol, but it is nice to have somewhere to go for quick answers.

I guess I will keep you posted on if they rub or not. Having them put on tomorrow morning.

Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
youll be just fine, my brother is running 305/75/16 on his z71 with no rubbing issues :rocking:

·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No rubbing what so ever. And looks much better than those Firestone Wilderness AT's.

Thanks again all for all the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK - same question but with 285/75/17s. Seems the 2004 Z71 Crew Cab comes stock with 17 inch rims and 265 Bridgestone Firestones. I've ordered Michelin P285/75/R17s - they are on back order - choices for 17 inch rim are limited. I've seen multiple threads on this - some say yes - some say no. Thought I'd bring it upon once again.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Well, since the wheel is slightly larger, and the aspect ratio is the same (75), I would think that the tire would be a tad bigger than a 16" version. Whether it would fit and not rub, I have no idea. My guess is that it would probably fit alrite, but it might rub a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts