GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with 20x8.5 5.4" backspacing wheels? I know Ill have to trim the valance and maybe a little of the inner fender just worried about rubbing the frame a screwing up my turning radius. Anybody running something close to this? I am either going to crank the shit out of the stock keys or throw some ford keys in it. I just dont want to throw a lift on so I can keep the truck in the garage. My truck attracts thieves.:pissed:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
On stock wheels, yes. On those wheels, you will have a tough time. You'll definetly have to get Ford keys and crank the front up a solid 2.5-3"...

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is big diff between these and stock wheels as far as back spacing is concerned? Im wheel dumb, I bought these wheels with the intention of running street tires but Im an offroad guy at heart and want so mud tires for the deer lease. If I get the tires to clear the valance and inner fenders would I be good to go on frame clearance? Discount tires said they will order one and mount it for me to see what we are working with but I want to be able to pull up and get em all mounted and leave. Right now I have stockers with 32's on it now. When taking my measurements how much do I need to compensate for the difference between the stocker wheels and the 20s? I dont mind doing some measurements just dont know how to compensate for the difference in wheels.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I don't think the backspacing will be the issue. The problem is that stock wheels are only 6.5" or 7" wide (can't remember which). Those 20's are 8.5" wide... so 1.5"-2" wider than stock. On top of that you're running 12.5" wide tires.

I don't know if you'll rub frame, but you're going to need to crank quite a bit.

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lip of the rim sticks out further then the stockers right even though the backspacing is adjusted a bit? If so then that makes sense in my head as to why I need to crank the shit out of it. Like I said Im wheel dumb.

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
If you get wheels with a smaller backspacing such as 4.5" then they will stick out further from your hub. This will incesase your track width out far enough so that hopefully you don't hit your frame or t-bars when turning. Then you can just trim plastic to make em' fit. When I had 35's with no lift on my HD the wheels I had were like 5.5 backspacing. If I turned hard enough I could get them to hit the frame and sway bar.

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have the rims they are what they are unfortunately. From the sounds of it with the 8.5" with 5.4" backspacing Ill get a little frame rubbing I can live with that I guess just dont want to absolutely kill my turning radius as it sucks already. Sweet truck BTW, if I could afford the shitty gas mileage and keep it garaged mine would look like that too.

·
Later, Tony
7,265 Posts
Since those wheels have a decent amount of backspacing, you might be fine. I run a 285x75 on a 16x8 with 4.5" bs, and I am barely cranked and never rub. If you have to do any trimming, it will probably be the valence, and the rear plastic on your fender. If you didn't want the MG's, I'd get the Terra Grapplers in a 305/50/20, I've seen that setup on numerous stock height vehicles, looks real good :imo

·
Fortune Favors The Brave
6,321 Posts
Since those wheels have a decent amount of backspacing, you might be fine. I run a 285x75 on a 16x8 with 4.5" bs, and I am barely cranked and never rub. If you have to do any trimming, it will probably be the valence, and the rear plastic on your fender. If you didn't want the MG's, I'd get the Terra Grapplers in a 305/50/20, I've seen that setup on numerous stock height vehicles, looks real good :imo
He will be more worried about hitting the frame because his wheel will be sitting an inch closer to the frame than yours as well as the fact your tires are only 11.5" wide and his will be 12.5"

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The mudders are actually 12.8". Ill do a bit of searching for some terra grappler equipped trucks. I just love the aggressive sidewalls of the mud terrains.

·
Clit and Tire Liquifier
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had discount test fit some 305/55/20 Toyo's for me and I need ford Keys, my stock bars were maxed. But it didn't rub the frame at all and my wheels are almost the same exact measurements that yours are. It only rubbed on the inner fender and the valance.
Good to hear. Ordering the ford keys tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts