GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AJ
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would adding a cam to my 5.3 help me tow my camper it weighs about 6500 empty. I have an 08 z71. I already put the cold air intake, dual exhaust and a diablo trinity programmer and it's helped a little but looking for a little more. Also how bad will it affect my fuel milage. I average 13 bit with my camper I'm at 6-9 on the highway. My main concern in the Roma in running, at 60 I'm ok about 2800 but when I go over 65 it wants to run around 4k and it can't be good to do that for a long trips

Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
For towing/hauling gearing will help the most. Most mods increase power/torque in a range that you wont cruise at, unless you tow at 4000+rpms.

peace
Hog

·
AJ
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For towing/hauling gearing will help the most. Most mods increase power/torque in a range that you wont cruise at, unless you tow at 4000+rpms.

peace
Hog

Ok I gotcha if I'm not mistaken my truck has 3.73 gears now. What would be a good towing gear

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
take the true dual off cause you defanitly lost a decent amount of low end, get a custom tune instead of your trinity and gears will help forsure

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
duals increase hp but decrease torque, 4.10 gears would be fine for a mix of towing and just driving

·
AJ
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
Will the 4.10s kill milage
not kill.. decrease, yes.. but itll probably increase your mileage when towing, someone can correct me if i'm wrong

·
The Canadian
3,241 Posts
Will the 4.10s kill milage
the difference it will make in town and towing, you shouldn't see any difference atall in overall

·
AJ
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
what size are the tires? also longtubes would help. also i would put in a trucool 40k to help keep the transmission cool.

·
AJ
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what size are the tires? also longtubes would help. also i would put in a trucool 40k to help keep the transmission cool.

295/55/20 trail graps. I was thinkin about headers a while back but wasn't sure which route to take I love the sound if my truck I went with flow master super 10s true duals. My main concern is the truck wanting to run such high rpms after 65 but between 55 and 60 with the cruise set on the hwy I'm only running about 2800. When I try to pull it faster it down shifts and wants to run 3500 to 4k. There is a lot of stuff I can change with the trinity programmer I'm just not sure what a lot of it actually does so I didn't mess with it and installed the out of the box tune I'm sure if I took it to someone that knows them they can set it up better than I can

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
im really thinking your best bet is to get rid of that trinity tuner and go black bear. also long tubes would make it sound meaner maybe louder and make better power down low. i really see no reason for it having to downshift like that unless your trying to accelerate fast or going up big hills. from what rpms your saying its basically staying in 3rd and downshifting into 2nd.

ether way get the tru cool to keep your fluid from baking and transmission alive.

·
AJ
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thanks for the help. Now I know where to start

1 - 13 of 13 Posts