GMC Truck Forum banner

Will a McGaughy's Notch work on my 99?

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  RandomHero 
#1 ·
Shit, I didn't even think about this. I just bought a flip kit with notch from BGarr01. I didn't even think about it but will a 01+ notch work on my 99?

I did a little searching and I saw that a guy got a 99-00 to fit on his 01+ but no one said anything about the other way around.

DJM uses the same notch for all year truck so I'm hoping that an 01+ mcgaughy's notch will work for my truck. Thanks.

#2 ·
yeah, im pretty sure it will man. like you said, the djm notch is the same. the only difference of the frame rails is the 99-00 have a stamped spot on them. when notching my buddy's 00, i took a grinder and grinded the stamped part until it was almost flush with the rest of the frame rail that way the notch would rest completely against the frame rail. i dont think you'd have a problem with it:imo

#3 ·
yeah, im pretty sure it will man. like you said, the djm notch is the same. the only difference of the frame rails is the 99-00 have a stamped spot on them. when notching my buddy's 00, i took a grinder and grinded the stamped part until it was almost flush with the rest of the frame rail that way the notch would rest completely against the frame rail. i dont think you'd have a problem with it:imo
Ok that adds some comfort thanks. I just don't want to cut my frame up only to find out that I need a different notch. Then I'd be fucked.

#5 ·
How low are you going random? Dont you have a 2-4 drop? Or r u just putting it in to help with the kit you have know?
Well right now I'm running a 3/4 but I'm fixing to go down to a 3/6 and eventually a 4/8.

My current setup is: Western Chassis 3" control arms(I got them cheap)
Hotchkis 4" drop leafs

My new setup eventually will be: DJM 4" control arms and maybe a 1" drop coil and a flip kit with 2" shackle. We'll see though that may be too low for the roads around here.

#7 ·
4" LCAs with a 1" drop coil? :rofl2: dude, thats LOW on a static truck. also, i dont think djm lca's and drop coils mix..atleast that's what ive read in the past.
that's why I said mayyyybe because I'm pretty sure i'd have to go with some djm uppers as well.

We'll see though. I'll probably only end up doing a 4/7

#9 ·
stick with the 4/7 IMO.......going 5" up front is to low for static!....i am at an official 4" drop but has settled some and combined with my rim/tire combogoes down to about what a 5" drop would be and it is LOW!!
yea, I would just assume go to bags, but reliability is an issue and I don't want to half ass bags. I would tub everything and I'm not quite ready to do that until the truck is paid off.

#11 ·
I just got the notches in today and it doesn't look like they're going to fit. It wasn't the stamped part that was the issue, but after the axle on 01-up trucks, the frame goes straight back with no angles. On my 99 the frame dips down a little bit.

#12 ·
I just got the notches in today and it doesn't look like they're going to fit. It wasn't the stamped part that was the issue, but after the axle on 01-up trucks, the frame goes straight back with no angles. On my 99 the frame dips down a little bit.
:hmm: any way you can get a photo of this? doesnt make sense to me seeing how djm's notch is for 99-06 trucks...my djm has a slight bend in it iirc..maybe thats so it can be a universal notch?

#13 ·
:hmm: any way you can get a photo of this? doesnt make sense to me seeing how djm's notch is for 99-06 trucks...my djm has a slight bend in it iirc..maybe thats so it can be a universal notch?
The reason why your djm notch works is because(from the pictures I have seen), the djm notch doesn't wrap underneath the frame.

The mcgaughy's notch raps underneath the frame and you're supposed to mount 4 bolts vertically into the frame.

I'll take pics tommorow. Hell, maybe I'm wrong, that would be awesome.

#14 ·
The reason why your djm notch works is because(from the pictures I have seen), the djm notch doesn't wrap underneath the frame.

The mcgaughy's notch raps underneath the frame and you're supposed to mount 4 bolts vertically into the frame.

I'll take pics tommorow. Hell, maybe I'm wrong, that would be awesome.
ohhh. you're correct, the djm notch does not wrap under the frame. i guess thats why it wont work. didnt realize McG's notch wrapped under the frame:hmm:

#17 ·
if mine weren't welded in, i'd simply trade you man. maybe somebody would be willing to do so?
that would be sweet, the mcgaughy's one definantly seems to be a beefy MF'er

#20 ·
Here's some pics fellas. Notice how the back part of the c-notch is flat where-as the front is at an angle.

I'm thinking of cutting the flat part on the notch completely off so it doesn't wrap around the frame. I'm 99% sure it will work on my truck if I do that and it would still have more metal support than a djm notch which doesn't wrap around the frame

#21 ·
here's the part I'm thinking about cutting. Excuse the crude illustration:

#22 ·
Here's some pics fellas. Notice how the back part of the c-notch is flat where-as the front is at an angle.

I'm thinking of cutting the flat part on the notch completely off so it doesn't wrap around the frame. I'm 99% sure it will work on my truck if I do that and it would still have more metal support than a djm notch which doesn't wrap around the frame

:word: same as my 99. I just cut off the extra piece in the rear of the notch and it fit perfect. Been almost 4 years and not one problem with it.

#24 ·
shit too late fellas I just sold of the notch and flip kit. I'm picking up a DJM flip kit and c-notch for $60 tommorow though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.