GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Master Pastor
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my roomate mentioned water in the diff. does this look deep enough to worry about changing the fluid? oh and if you notice, i just had everything colormatched too( mirrors, handles, front valance, and rear bumper plastics)

P7020034.jpg

P7020025.jpg

·
DeepSouth Gangster
5,669 Posts
Did he notice water IN the diff or water surounding the diff making him believe water will be in the diff? I changed mine after being held hostage in a river by sand and a log for 10 minutes and it was near my rear end. Depends on how long the diff was under water too.

·
The Green Seal
3,721 Posts
whats a few dollars in oil and a hour or so to make sure your shit isnt all milkshaked..

if you do have water in there then yes it will definately hurt something

·
Master Pastor
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he really has no idea if there is water in it, he just mentioned that the vent may have been under water, but didnt actually know how high the vent was. i only sat in that water long enough to take a pic, but i was driving through water up to the body line... maybe ill just change it for good measure.

·
heavy on the skinny pedal
1,732 Posts
Both your vents should be higher then the water in those pics. If you don't want to change the fluid crack the drain plugs and see if any chocolate milk comes out.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Better safe than sorry, get under there and see how high the vents are compared to the pics. I would change it if it were me though.

·
Master Pastor
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i think im going to change it this weekend. and thats lewisville at pier 121 by charlies

·
Clouds
406 Posts
Your vents are at or above frame level. That's the only way for water to get in. Like said, pull the plugs and check for chocolate milk. Chocolate milk = water in diff. If it looks like regular oil, you're fine. 95% you didn't get any water in there based on the pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ITC is correct. The only other way for water to enter is through the axle seals if they are damaged.. Usually the vent hose will have a valve on it only allowing vapors to run out. This is effective in keeping water out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts