GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brands are good? I have seen Warn, but what else is there?

What sort of weight/pull do I need to look for? Truck's curb weight is over 8k.

Should I run one off the PTO or electrical? (I have PTO and twin alts @ 320A and dual batts)

Can they be installed with stock style front bumpers? I really don't want a brushguard looking one.

I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to add-ons such as this. :)

·
GMFS MoPar/Air Force Crew
5,457 Posts
They bring me my mead :read:

·
Justin @ A/T Fab
325 Posts
Get the warn 12 or 16.5. This way they can work with the vehicle off. Electrics have gone a long ways in recent years, the TI series hold up great and pull damn hard. Let me know if you want a price on them.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get the warn 12 or 16.5. This way they can work with the vehicle off. Electrics have gone a long ways in recent years, the TI series hold up great and pull damn hard. Let me know if you want a price on them.

This makes no sense to me, sorry. lol Can you elaborate on the designations?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
12= 12,000lbs

16.5 = 16,500lbs

Not sure what TI stands for but I know its Warn's top of the line brand.

Nothing will ever pull as hard or as long as a PTO, but your engine has to be running, or else it doesnt work, at all. The good thing about PTOs is they pull, no matter what. The bad thing about PTOs, is they pull, no matter what. Meaning if something is NOT going to come unstuck, then something WILL break, i.e shear pin, cable, drive shaft, attachment points, frames, PTO gears, etc etc.

For an 8,000lb truck I wouldn't even consider anything under 12,000lbs single line pull.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's for that F350.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
Seems like the only brand name to come up is Warn. T-Maxx is also a very good brand. Definitely take a look into it as well. I'm considering selling my Warn for a little bit bigger T-Maxx. Down the road of course...

·
Maniac
692 Posts
You want a winch that is rated at 1.5 times the loaded weight of the vehicle. You want a 12K rated winch minimum. As for the bumper, the Super Duty's have large stockers, I'm sure you could get something fabbed up so it was behind it with a hole cut in it for the cable and shit.

There is also Mile Marker and Ramsey winches. I'm sure there are more, but I can't remember. We run Mile Markers on our HMMWV's and MRAP's in the Army, while underrated weight wise, they do very good. They are electric, too.

·
4,725 Posts
if you plan on going in mud or pulling something larger than the truck, i would go 15,000 or 16,500. the smallest i would go on a f350 is 12,000. The warns are really nice. You can go offbrand if you wish, and it may not be a bad idea depending on your specifics. If you plan on using a lot, synthetic cable is a good mod to me since it is very safe. A good snatch block may be in order again if you are going hardcore pulling stuff. If you run steel cable, keep a set of good leather gloves to handle the cable since steel will eventually fray and happily tear up your hands.
As for mounts, you can do hidden mounts typically up to 9,500... however on a larger winch, you'll need a feet-forward mount setup (no tension on the mounting bolts)so you will most probably be getting a different bumper (not a useless brush guard). Make sure the bumper is built to accept the larger winches.
You can compare specs of electrical draw, speed, gearing, and horsepower on most manufacturer websites.
Brands include:
warn, ramsey, superwinch, rule, tabor, tmax, mile marker, chicago electric, etc.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a Ramsey RE8000. Its an electric worm gear winch that alot of wrecker trucks use with a hydraulic motor instead of electric. It pulls like a mofo but is slooooowww as a mofo. It was free so thats what I have. My bumper was built for a Warn 8274 that I used to use(great winch BTY fast line speed, lots of cable and pulled very strong). For a F350 I personally would look at these! http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/heavy_weight_series.shtml

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
ive got a warn 9.5ti and a 16.5ti, i first had the 9.5ti on a multimount on my 1500 and it was always enough power and when it wasnt i doubled it up with a snatch block, now its on my jeep and ive never had to use a snatch block... i think the ti stands for thermostatic? or something along those lines...basically has a saftey feature when it get overheated it reduces the power so you basically cant burn it up.

ive got the 16.5 on my dually and that thing is a beast, after hurricane ike we had one of those cargo boxes that you see on ships with a 10-12,000lb tractor with tools pipe and all sorts of stuff probably close to 20,000lbs or more and pulled it out of a flooded field and across a ditch... at first i didnt think it would do it but it sure did and suprised me.

but what ive learned is a winch is always used in a situation you dont want to be in and you rely on it so i would never go cheap or too small on a winch.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Truck is a PSD, so I guess I have to do an aftermarket bumper so the IC has flow.

Where did you guys find the mount(s) for OE bumpers, to those using the large style. 16.5k or so.

·
Mile High
3,080 Posts
I really like the ARB bumpers for those trucks, have a few buddies running m12000 warns and m15000 warns with 38" tires...no issues pulling themselves out of anything or recovering anyone. Snatch blocks are always a worthy upgrade as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts