GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i rarely need to wash my truck because all it does is get dusty in the summer and I dust it every day so i was wondering what the easiest way is to get all the bugs off the front without having to bust out the hose, wash mit, and turtle wax car soap

·
ridin low no mo'
643 Posts
i get a bug sponge, and a drop of soap on it, and dampen the sponge, and do the certain areas that have the bugs, then have a cotton towel that i wipe the soapyness off with, and every so often add a coat of wax where i just cleaned. never failed me yet

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
01whiteoffroad said:
i get a bug sponge, and a drop of soap on it, and dampen the sponge, and do the certain areas that have the bugs, then have a cotton towel that i wipe the soapyness off with, and every so often add a coat of wax where i just cleaned. never failed me yet
what does a bug sponge look like? is it coarse? will it scratch things like my bumper and such?

·
Registered
183 Posts
A bug sponge is a sponge wrapped with a criss-cross nylon type netting over it. It won't scratch the chrome but just use it where the bugs are on the paint. I would suggest not using it to clean the whole truck.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Most everyone should have seen a bug sponge sometime or another, it's a yellow rectangular sponge with white netting over it, you can get them anywhere that sells cleaning supplies even somegas stations sell them.
Anyway this works well 4 me:
On my chrome bumper I use Eagle One Wadding Polish, you wouldn't believe how well it gets bugs off.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
way2hi said:
Most everyone should have seen a bug sponge sometime or another, it's a yellow rectangular sponge with white netting over it, you can get them anywhere that sells cleaning supplies even somegas stations sell them.
Anyway this works well 4 me:
On my chrome bumper I use Eagle One Wadding Polish, you wouldn't believe how well it gets bugs off.
Yah, i know i have seen one i just never have seen one used on a car, i always thought it would scratch it up...That is kinda suprising to see that the eagle 1 wadding polish works so great for taking bugs off.

·
Bowhunter
516 Posts
Those bug sponges will scratch the crap out of your clear-coat. I made the mistake of using one once on a previous vehicle. I would not recommend doing that. It scratched it up pretty good.

·
U-Turn Master
239 Posts
damp dryer sheets (Downy, etc.) are the quickest bug cleaner that I've used. I usually us them when washing the whole truck (I don't clean the whole truck with them) , but if you wet the are you plan to clean, then wet the dryer sheet, you'll be amazed at how quickly it'll remove bugs and tar.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just use a bug sponge and it has yet to scratch any of the 5 cars I use it on. Slvrpismochevy96, I'm 45 minutes south of you down Hwy 41 in Hanford and I know what you mean by saying it's mainly dust etc. I read in a magazine that once you wash the bugs off of the vehicle tp spray spm PAM cooking spray on the front of you r car and when you wash the vehicle all the bugs wash right off. Never tried it but heard it works great.

·
Yes, I do...
4,065 Posts
I have a spray bottle mixed with water and car wash soap. I spray the bugs pretty heavily to loosen them and then wipe them off with a microfiber towel. Call me crazy but I'm not too keen on the idea of a rough mesh on my chrome or paint.

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Badassilverado said:
Never seen a bug spunge but a nice thick cloth and some stoner's invisible glass should wipe them away. Also, if you keep a decent coat of Rain-X on there it'll help prevent anything from sticking to it...thus making bug removal easier.

:imo
I need to try something on mine, these damn love-bugs are driving me :crazy:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
yall think thats bad. these friggin love bugs give u two for the price of one. snd youll be driven along and all of a sudden it sounds like your driving through a down pour of rain.... but of bugs.

i just use a heavy pre-soak and high pressure wash. it hasnt hurt me paint yet so i just stick wit it.

·
NCOR
8,449 Posts
So you say a damp dryer sheet. Sounds excellent as I just moved to Fresno and found out where California hides bugs during the day. Normally I wouldn't care, but its just gross. What should I use to get them off the windshield that doesn't invole scraping?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
TexK5 said:
I need to try something on mine, these damn love-bugs are driving me :crazy:
Seriously!! i took a 40 mile drive out north of 290 this weekend, and my front end was totally covered in love bugs, probably the worst i've seen it. Used some car soap and a rag and they came right off. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts