GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whats up everyone. I have a question to ask u all and i want to get as many people opinions as i can. i want to tint my front windows and all but i dont know what is the best tint to get for california. yes the town i live in the cops will pull u over for going 2 miles over the speed limit. BUT i want to get tint that is sorta dark but not black. so give me what you think i should do. thanks and check out my truck on cardomain.

:burnout:

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
i'm running 35%(i think, its slightly reflective). I haven't had problems with it since i got it tinted about a year ago... But then again, i do roll down my windows everytime i see a cop. I get pulled over about once a month, so its not like cops don't know me. Pretty much everything you do to ur truck is gonna be illegal. It sucks now that its just a fine for tinted windows though.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I would go as dark as you think you can. I did 5% and love it, but thats a cop magnet anywhere. Ive been lucky, its been probably 8 months now and I havnt had any trouble.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone. im ganna go out tomorrow to get a price quote on the tint. im just doin the 2 front side ones tho cuz the back are already pretty dark. but thanks for all your help and when its done ill tell u all so u can look at it and see if it makes any difference

·
Banned
164 Posts
Sevenfold said:
My advice to you is not to go too dark and watch out for the CHP.

I got pulled over on the freeway recently for tint and my court date is next month. It isn't a "fix-it" ticket anymore. :bawl:
Really? Maybe in Ventura county. All it is here is a $10 fix it ticket. I got lucky and they didn't charge me shit, I just took it off. I'm going to get 5% all around now :evillol:

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Well besides the fact that you'll have Johnny Law on your back...the other dis-advantage to having really dark tint is visability. My buddy got limo tint all the way around on his Civic and now he regrets doing it. It is almost impossible for him to back out of his garage at night...and since it's winter time it is dark a lot more than it is light. I went for one shade lighter on my side window than the back window (back window was stock tint from the the factory). I'll admit it doesn't look as cool as 5% but it isn't hard to see at night...I don't get bugged by cops...plus it still has a nicer look than just plain glass.

I do have a question...the guy who did my tint offered to put some tint over the stock tint on the back window since he said what comes from the factory doesn't stop any UV rays thus it doesn't make the truck any cooler in the summer. I realize the stock tint isn't a film, but rather in the glass itself...but I couldn't understand why it wouldn't offer some protection. I mean it isn't a big deal, I just hate people if they are lying to me just to sell me more shit.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i've got 15% in the front sides and 5% over the factory 15% and i've driven by many cops but they havent done anything. watch i'm gonna jinx myself and get pulled over tomorrow

·
Registered
752 Posts
I still have my paper plates on and its been almost 2 years and I have 5% on the sides, and double 5% on the back. No problems, except for the times when your going to work on the freeway at 7:30 in the morning, and the CHP are next you and your windows are down and you have a short sleeve shirt on and its 30 degrees. Oh well I guess thats life!

·
[>
3,255 Posts
I only went with 35% on my sides b/c I wanted to be able to see good at night.
I really liked it at first (and still looks good) but I want darker.
With the 35 It dosnt bother me looking at night, but It is just not dark enough in the day.
If I ever do it again I would have gotten darker (maby 20% or so) to make it darker in day, but still not be horrible at night.

BD

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have limo tint on mine. On top of the factory matched tint on the front windows. It's dark, but it's worth the privacy :naughty:. I got pulled over once in Pasadena because of the tint but he let me off with a warning.

·
Registered
413 Posts
i have 5% in the front, 5% over the stock 15% in the back, and about a 6" sunstrip on the windshield, plus no front license plate, and i've had no trouble with the cops :cheers:

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
I dont run a front plate either for close to a year now, no trouble. Also my offroad lights arnt legal. Shhhhhh
certain offroad lights are only illegal if you use them on the street. KC slimlines arent illegal BTW i sell them at work and am current with the laws.

i have 5% tint all the way around including tint added over the factory smoke. i have gotten one ticket in 18 mos. 165 bucks! i could have gotten a fake reciept and gotten it dismissed, but i was out of town on the courtdate :bawl:

·
Registered
658 Posts
hey im not up on tint....but how does it work.....is the lower the percentage daker.....and higher percentage lighter.....????????

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
Joshs2002Silverado said:
hey im not up on tint....but how does it work.....is the lower the percentage daker.....and higher percentage lighter.....????????
the % amount is the amount of light that can be transmitted through the glass. 5% is darker than 35%.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts