GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i get rid of this crap on my side windows. the window cleaner i got from turtle wont take it off. what cuases this, and how can i get rid of it?thanks

P6020125.jpg

P6020123.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont, maybe the person who had it before me? what are the steps to cleaning it? thanks a lot man

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
i dont, maybe the person who had it before me? what are the steps to cleaning it? thanks a lot man
Pretty simple, in a small bowl, mix a couple of shakes of bar keepers friend with water, dip the steel wool in the solution and polish the glass.

Rinse with clean water.

Remember, only 0000 steel wool. Anything else will mar the glass.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
i used stoners invisible glass with 0000 steel wool.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
Please don't use steel wool on windows!!

Synthetic steel or bronze wool whatever the grade can leave micro-scratches in the glass, which then becomes full with road dirt, grit and grime, causing a clouding the glass over time.

People use steel wool if no real affect though, but I will never use it. I only use it on exhaust tips and the like. You would want 0000 steel wool. I would much rather "polish" the glass.

Edit - Heres a 50/50 shot someone did that I saved a while ago as I've never really taken pics of windows.

IMG_9386.jpg

They just use M04 on a rotary I believe it was but the same could be done with a PC.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got some stoners glass cleaner and some 0000 wool, i dont know if i am doing it wrong or something but it i didnt do anything. i got the bottle sprayed some on and used the wool to srub it. are these the correct steps?

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
People have been using 0000 steel wool on glass without adverse effects forever. There is absolutely no problem with it. Relax.

Here's some threads on the highest regarded auto detailing forum on the internet.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/37355-0000-steel-wool-windows-tricks-tips.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/27862-autoglym-glass-polish-0000-steel-wool.html
I'd rather not relax old man. :crazy:

Go ahead and use it I am just throwing the caution out there. After doing research on it and talking to people at our bodyshops who've noticed a difference after using it I won't take the chance.

And yes I am very familiar with autopia.org

I would much rather buff the window to remove the water spots.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
i got some stoners glass cleaner and some 0000 wool, i dont know if i am doing it wrong or something but it i didnt do anything. i got the bottle sprayed some on and used the wool to srub it. are these the correct steps?
if its too hard of a stain try rust stain remover...

it looks like this...

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd rather not relax old man. :crazy:

Go ahead and use it I am just throwing the caution out there. After doing research on it and talking to people at our bodyshops who've noticed a difference after using it I won't take the chance.

And yes I am very familiar with autopia.org

I would much rather buff the window to remove the water spots.

Out of m105,m205 and ssr1,which would you use on the glass?

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
I would just start with SSR1 and work your way up if that doesn't cut it. I have a ton of windshield polish that I bought as I get a ton of cars that sit next to sprinklers or just people use hard water and don't dry.

As far as tree sap removing it is simple. It is water based, not solvent based so you need something water based to remove it, i.e. alcohol, windex, water.... Just soak MF or Terry cloth towel in HOT water. Set the towel on top of the sap to soften it then caefully wipe off or rewash when done. The older the sap is the longer it will take to soften it and remove it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would just start with SSR1 and work your way up if that doesn't cut it. I have a ton of windshield polish that I bought as I get a ton of cars that sit next to sprinklers or just people use hard water and don't dry.

As far as tree sap removing it is simple. It is water based, not solvent based so you need something water based to remove it, i.e. alcohol, windex, water.... Just soak MF or Terry cloth towel in HOT water. Set the towel on top of the sap to soften it then caefully wipe off or rewash when done. The older the sap is the longer it will take to soften it and remove it.
cool thanks man

1 - 17 of 17 Posts