GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys have issues with the windsheild cracking more often with tint on the shield than without? I have heard stories and want to get answers form all you guys. I am thinking bout tinting my sheild either 50% or 35% once I get it replaced and my truck re inspected. What you guys have to say?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
ive had my windshield tinted for a year and half and have never had any issues. Ive never heard of them cracking either

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've had a rock chip in my windshield almost as long as i've had my truck and i've had my windshield tinted pulled off and tinted again and it hasn't spread or anything. I have heard it will spread if its cracked before its tinted but I haven't had that problem so far...

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
mine has been fine.:shrug:

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
The friend that tints my vehicles is always scared of tinting the complete windshields because of cracking. He's tinted a few that cracked when he put heat on them, so he just about won't do anymore windshields. He only does mine because he knows me and if mine cracks, I'll call insurance and tell them it happened somewhere else, not blaming him.

Yes, it can happen. If they can tint it without heat, you should be okay.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
I have had no problems with mine at all.

BTW go with 35%. 50% is almost a waste :imo

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
ive never had a problem with either of mine, i dont see how that little amount of heat to stretch the film would crack the windshield... and as far as rock chips and such i think the tint adds strength to the glass...when i rolled my tahoe the film actually held all the broken glass together...both had 35% and love it! but if you dont want it as noticable 50% is the way to go.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
first ive heard of it, but with a 1500* heat gun, im sure it can happen. hot/cold expansion. mine was done with no issue and ive got a couple pre existing rock chips...4 now i think.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick what percentage do you have? I love HoveyBayou's setup. 20% on front windows to matxch factory rear glass asn 35% on the sheild. Looks dark and you can see VERY well out of it. I do alot of towing so I dont want to have my back glass blacked out when I cant see my boat down the ramp in duck season!
I did speak to the guy who will tint my shield and he sadi if it has large long crack he said I guarantee it will crack more, But if you tint it chip and crack free sheild ill be fine.

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Nick what percentage do you have? I love HoveyBayou's setup. 20% on front windows to matxch factory rear glass asn 35% on the sheild. Looks dark and you can see VERY well out of it. I do alot of towing so I dont want to have my back glass blacked out when I cant see my boat down the ramp in duck season!
I did speak to the guy who will tint my shield and he sadi if it has large long crack he said I guarantee it will crack more, But if you tint it chip and crack free sheild ill be fine.
15 sides, 50 shield. i wish the shield was darker at times, but neither me nor bodie have be popped for it yet...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
35 on the shield. also take cab size into consideration, reg cab doesnt need to be as dark as a crew. because it has less light. i have factory privacy with 2 percent, ihunt and fish and wheel. my only real problem is seeing out of the back glass at night in the rain. but you got 20 all the way around so do 35 on the shield it will be great. my buddy has this set up on his crew dodge.

·
professional grade
4,122 Posts
Ive had mine tinted for a year, with no problems. It gets rid off the glare and direct sun, however, if you go too dark, then your automatic headlights will probably stay on all during the day. I went 50% and love it.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Ill be getting 35% on mine when I replace the shield. Now that I have 5% all around, my eyes hate focusing from dark to bright..especially sinceI had LASIK recently. I need to get a prescription for this :hmm:

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Ill be getting 35% on mine when I replace the shield. Now that I have 5% all around, my eyes hate focusing from dark to bright..especially sinceI had LASIK recently. I need to get a prescription for this :hmm:
im actually going to my eye doctor monday to renew my contact prescription and im going to try and get one for my tint...

1 - 20 of 106 Posts