GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone else despise cleaning their windshield? It seems like a 3 day process. Clean it then that night find spots I missed. Any tricks for cleaning the inside of the windshield?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I hate it. I have to use ~3 microfibers.. one to get the bad stuff, another to wipe it dry, and the last one for getting the streaks and spots off. What's the best glass cleaner? I've had invisible glass and it's ok.

·
Fender Measurements?
21,152 Posts
i use the RinseFree Wash & Wax diluted for my windows. It works great. i use two towels, one is saturated the other is to dry it. Key is not to let the liquid start to evaporate. I havent had streaks since doing this and i couldnt be happier. I hate cleaning windshields.

·
is probably detailing...
6,749 Posts
Couple of helpful tips in this video:

[yt]v4l5Pg0odxs[/yt]

Couple of common mistakes I see people make on glass -

• Over saturating the surface - don't use a ton of cleaner, just a liight mist of a good product should do the job
  • Change your towels when they get dirty - even use a separate towel per window
  • 2 towel wiping - use one towel to spread the cleaner and get most of the glass clean, follow up with a completely dry towel to buff away streaks
  • Clean the outside in one direction, inside in another - then it'll be obvious what side the streaks are one if there are any
  • Clean the inside without cleaner - if all you have is a little haze on the inside, try a dry glass towel, or one with just a small mist of glass cleaner applied.

To be honest though, no matter what you do windows are difficult and will fight with you, just part of the deal. You can certainly make it easier on yourself by working smarter.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know what's worse; the streaks on the inside of the glass or my wipers and the layer of slime they always seem to spread on the outside of the glass. No matter what I use on the outside its a constant battle to get rid of the smearing and it doesn't matter if the wipers are new or old. Inside is mostly my fault because I always leave my window down in the garage and the humidity makes the streaks more prevalent.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have to try some of this out. I try to clean mine at night just so I can see the horrible job I do before I am driving

·
Bitchin' Stitchin'
74 Posts
Old school method.
Use newspaper & glass cleaner. Yea! Newspaper! But only the pages with black & white print. No colors. The paper has just enough grit to it to get the crap off without scratching, & the ink gives the glass a nice shine without leaving oils behind to attract more crud. Keep changing out the wet newspaper for dry till there is no cleaner left & the windows are dry.
Been using this method for a looong time! (old fart here!) Never had a scratch from the newspaper on the glass.

·
Baseball
2,306 Posts
Old school method.
Use newspaper & glass cleaner. Yea! Newspaper! But only the pages with black & white print. No colors. The paper has just enough grit to it to get the crap off without scratching, & the ink gives the glass a nice shine without leaving oils behind to attract more crud. Keep changing out the wet newspaper for dry till there is no cleaner left & the windows are dry.
Been using this method for a looong time! (old fart here!) Never had a scratch from the newspaper on the glass.
newspaper.. no shit, really? that's very interesting.. im definately going to try it once i need to clean the inside again

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Hell, newspaper is what I've used about 90% of the time. Was easier when I actually used to get the paper delivered. Lol

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,739 Posts
Hell, newspaper is what I've used about 90% of the time. Was easier when I actually used to get the paper delivered. Lol
I canceled my subscription a couple years ago... they still keep delivering the dam thing (free) I guess after 28 years the paperboy is either retarded or just retarded :roflmao:

The best glass cleaner I've found to date is Meguairs D120. I've had this gallon 2years and it's so concentrated the level today is at the top of the label and I use it on a lot of surfaces... I mean a lot!. One gallon reduces to 11 gallons of ready to spray cleaner (44 quarts) Safe for tinted windows and smells just like fukin grape drank... bitches :read:

IMG_3508.jpg

·
A Proud Texan
4,156 Posts
Invisible glass is probably the best glass cleaner iv ever used, the foam one, its available local I'm sure

use the recommended techniques

CLEAN microfibers help

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used a dry hand towel last night and did the same this morning for the spots I missed while driving

·
A Proud Texan
4,156 Posts
I used a dry hand towel last night and did the same this morning for the spots I missed while driving
if and when you find what works, id try using a coating like rain x on them, a lot of streaks are due to contamination on the window that just gets moved around. rain x helps prevent things stick, and would make cleaning windows way easier

·
Registered
110 Posts
Couple of helpful tips in this video:

[*]Clean the outside in one direction, inside in another - then it'll be obvious what side the streaks are one if there are any
great idea, so simple

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Any of you tried Dirt-x I think it is by Savogram.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if and when you find what works, id try using a coating like rain x on them, a lot of streaks are due to contamination on the window that just gets moved around. rain x helps prevent things stick, and would make cleaning windows way easier
I hate putting rain X on the outside of windows I can only imagine how much I would hate that

·
Registered
443 Posts
The hands down best glass cleaner I've ever used is john deere's classic glass cleaner. It comes in an aerosol can and goes on like a foam. We buy it by the case for the farm and use it on everything. It's almost impossible to get it to streak imo.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The hands down best glass cleaner I've ever used is john deere's classic glass cleaner. It comes in an aerosol can and goes on like a foam. We buy it by the case for the farm and use it on everything. It's almost impossible to get it to streak imo.
Sounds like Dirt-x I mentioned above.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
I like the foaming glass cleaner too. But more times than not you really don't need I unless kid hands and dog noses.

I rain X the outside winders.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts