GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for a tool to clean up parts of my frame so i can POR 15 it this weekend. DO i just need to buy a grinder and a wire brush thing to go with it? If so whats a good grinder?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
a grinder would be your best bet. If you wanna keep it cheap (but waste a lot of time), you can use a drill and wire brush attachment...they are like $5 at home depot. We used these to clean parts before, and are good for smaller stuff, but a grinder would be a lot better i would think. Im sure DE could help you out even more.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RedneckDude said:
a grinder would be your best bet. If you wanna keep it cheap (but waste a lot of time), you can use a drill and wire brush attachment...they are like $5 at home depot. We used these to clean parts before, and are good for smaller stuff, but a grinder would be a lot better i would think. Im sure DE could help you out even more.
Thats what i figured, im probally just going to go with a grinder because i could use one for other stuff anyway.

What are some good brands?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats the difference between a regular grinder and a die grinder?

You guys think i should get an electric grinder or a pneumatic one?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Electric, at least for that kind of work. Unless you've got a really big compressor it probably won't be able to keep up with the air requirements of a pneumatic one. I have a small cutoff wheel (might also be called a die grinder...) and our 5 hp air compressor can't keep up with it.

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
I have a craftsman 7" angle grinder and give it hell, been good so far. I would also highly recomend milwalkee. Ill probably get a milwalkee 4" angle grinder sometime also.

A die grinder is like a dremmel almost, not what you need. I used the grinder and a 4" wire cup brush on my frame. Get the one with the most power you can find, more amps the better.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up getting this one, i think it should work pretty good. The milwaukee only had 1 more amp and it was $40 more.

I also got two 3ton craftsman jackstands and a craftsman creeper.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tonight i got it up on jack stands and got my nerf bars off. I plan on cleaning it up tomorrow. Theres not a whole lot of coating on it its just it some spots. Most of it already came off because its about 10 years old.

Do i just use a regular brush to paint on the Por15 and topcoat?

And whifflebat when did you get that roof rack?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whifflebat said:
i've had it for...year and half now.
damn, i must not of noticed it in your other sig pic. What brand is it and how do you like it? Im thinkin about getting one.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a Dewalt angle grinder, it's a 4.5 inch. It absolutely rocks for stripping just about anything except women, and only cost me 50 bucks at Home Depot.

You can also put a wire cup on it and it mows through paint/coating/any crap on frames...

Spend a couple bucks and get the Dewalt. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mvoelker said:
I have a Dewalt angle grinder, it's a 4.5 inch. It absolutely rocks for stripping just about anything except women, and only cost me 50 bucks at Home Depot.

You can also put a wire cup on it and it mows through paint/coating/any crap on frames...

Spend a couple bucks and get the Dewalt. You won't be sorry.
Ya i ended up getting a dewalt. Look up a few posts and theres a link to the one i got.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts