GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to wire in a 220 volt outlet in my garage very soon. The panel is right there and teh outlet can be close to it, thats not a problem. Question is, I dont know exactly how to do it. If someone could post what I need to look for, buy and do it would be very useful. Also I think out main panel is full, but there is a sub panel next to it that out pool filter crap and garage run off of. While im at it I want to run a 20 amp 110 volt also, the one in our garage does all teh lights, anoterh rooms lights and the outlets and is only 15 amp! I can trip it with a damn hair dryer!

·
Registered
601 Posts
What kind of mains do you have? What kind of box do you have? How many open spaces do you have in the box? (Maybe a pic of thebox would be helpful) How big of a 220 circuit do you need?

For the 20A 110V use 3 wire 12GA (12-2 with ground) romex. Be sure that the outlet you get is rated 20A.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill get a pic of the box/sub panel later today. Ill try and figure out hwo big teh main is as well.

·
Registered
601 Posts
What are you needing the 220V circuit for? Is it that welder you posted about before? You'll need to know what kind of plug it has on it, 3 or 4 pin (that changes the wire used). Also, plan on $50 for the outlet, connector, box, faceplate. When you get into the heavier stuff it gets expensive. It cost me $56 to hook up my compressor 220v and I already had a two pole breaker in the box available.

·
internet bigot®
4,016 Posts
shit, i used to know how to do this when i was in high school.... since then its been too much :mexsmoke: and :drunk:

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill find out what connector it is. Ill pay whaetevr I have to for parts, I just dont want to pay an electrician!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
ill find out what connector it is. Ill pay whaetevr I have to for parts, I just dont want to pay an electrician!
Like I said, I'm a licensed electrician so once you get a pic of your panel and sub panel, I can tell you what you need to do.

·
Registered
124 Posts
willyswanter has it right...
a picture would really help...
and wiring up a short run 220 circuit is not that hard to do, just be careful not to electricute yourself :crazy:

So make sure you shut off the power to the garage panel while you work on it...

Oh and don't put your face in front of it when you turn it back on...just in case :D

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i looked at it with my friend who has wired lots of things, problem is I only have 2 punchouts left in teh sub panel and NONE in the main. I also wantde to run a 20 amp 110 in teh garage. I think ill put the 220 in the sub pabel in the remaining 2 punchouts and a 110 in a box like you use to mount an AC breaker or something.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Dark Eternal said:
well i looked at it with my friend who has wired lots of things, problem is I only have 2 punchouts left in teh sub panel and NONE in the main. I also wantde to run a 20 amp 110 in teh garage. I think ill put the 220 in the sub pabel in the remaining 2 punchouts and a 110 in a box like you use to mount an AC breaker or something.
What size is the breaker feeding the sub panel? Where do you plan on getting power for the small A/C Disconnect? If your sub panel has a large enough feeder to handle the extra load, then I would run another sub panel off of it, a small 55 amp or so. Put a double pole 50 amp breaker in your existing sub panel and run #6 to the new sub. In the new sub you can install your double pole for your welder and the single pole 20 for your outlet. But this is all based on the subpanel being large enough to handle the extra load.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think its pretty big because it runs the pool filter/heater and a small AC unit. tehy arnt on most of teh time so i have teh free amps.

·
GolfnBeer
668 Posts
You will need a stamped amp rated 2 pole breaker for what ever current your welder runs at full load amps, there is 2 hot wire and one ground, Just buy the same brand that is in the existing panel either square d or general electric or whatever you have..If you can get a piece of conduit maybe 2 to 3 foot and bring it out the bottom of the panel throught the knockout, and buy a exterior box and the correct outlet either twist lock or straight blade the amps and voltage are stamped on it. You can even use S.O. cord the flex cord with connector at sub panel and then you can move it were you want...You want to use number 8 or 10 depending on the amps. any question email me chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts