GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the simplest way to wire back up lights? I'm using two flush mount 3" pods mounted in my rear bumper? I just want them to come on when in reverse. Can I just tap into my trailer plug? Do I need a relay for this?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I used a relay. I tapped into the reverse wire behind the taillight for the trigger for the relay. Grabbed 12v from the trailer harness.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
For leds i wouldn't worry about the relay if your just taping into the reverse wire. They won't ever be on for long. If you planned to use for extended amount of time I'd do a relay.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I just tapped into the reverse wire. The green wire for hot and black for ground. Took a whole 30 minutes to install them.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I didn't care for the pair of Fab Fours logo cutouts on the NNBS 1500 rear bumper and I couldn't get Fab Fours to delete that option when I submitted my bumper build order, so I had the shop that I used to work for modify the logo cutouts to fit a pair of Totron flush mounted LED cubes:

20141021_133821-1.jpg

Making good use of my ashtray space. Right now, my lights only turn on/off via the rocker switch. My reasoning for doing it this way and not tapping them into the reverse wiring was because I didn't want the cubes coming on with the factory reverse lights and interior lights when I unlock my truck with my keyless entry.

20141101_083301.jpg

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I didn't care for the pair of Fab Fours logo cutouts on the NNBS 1500 rear bumper and I couldn't get Fab Fours to delete that option when I submitted my bumper build order, so I had the shop that I used to work for modify the logo cutouts to fit a pair of Totron flush mounted LED cubes:

20141021_133821-1.jpg

Making good use of my ashtray space. Right now, my lights only turn on/off via the rocker switch. My reasoning for doing it this way and not tapping them into the reverse wiring was because I didn't want the cubes coming on with the factory reverse lights and interior lights when I unlock my truck with my keyless entry.

20141101_083301.jpg
Mine don't turn on when I unlock the truck and I have them tied into the reverse wire

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yeah, I think it depends on if you tap into the actual tail light reverse wiring or the trailer reverse light wiring because I've heard mixed outcomes from others. I forgot to add that I wanted to avoid hacking up the factory wiring and have the ability to turn the lights on whenever, even when the truck is turned off.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I may end up doing the same thing but I'm gonna try this out for a little while and see how I like it. Also I love that rear bumper man. I'm currently looking for a rear ranch hand but they are hard to come by on Craigslist and I dang sure ain't forking over the money for a new ones.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts