GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new system in my truck. For now I will be running the factory door speakers but amped. I will be running around 85 RMS tops to each speaker - that is the maximum output of my KX700.5

Would I be ok to run up to the dash and splice into the factory wire or do I need to run new wire to each door? I know its always better to run all new wire but would I really notice the difference at these power levels?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I'd run new wires just for the sake of not cutting up your factory wiring. Plus, you're gonne have to run new wire from the amp to wherever you splice into your factory wiring anyway, shouldn't be much more work to run new wire all the way to the speakers.

·
Under the Radar
964 Posts
While you probably wouldn't notice a difference at all, I agree with Thunder. I'd run a new set, it would take minimal time. That way if you decide to sell the truck you can throw in the factory speakers with no trouble at all. Or if the upgrade bug hit's you you don't have to change out the wire down the road.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
give me a call rich Ill come help you after work if you want :read:
Hey right on thanks Jon. I am probably going to do some more work today but I will hit you up if I need some help. I am all over the place anymore between trying to do projects, be a dad and keep the woman happy. lol Thank god for beer and bbq.

I just hate to pull the door panel off but I think you guys are right. Fuck it I will just run new wire. Is it ok to run the speaker wires through the door jams past the power wire? I will run the RCA jacks to the amp on the opposite side of the truck from the power wire but it will be next to the speaker wires.

Thanks guys

·
Cartmans Critters
8,867 Posts
Hey right on thanks Jon. I am probably going to do some more work today but I will hit you up if I need some help. I am all over the place anymore between trying to do projects, be a dad and keep the woman happy. lol Thank god for beer and bbq.

I just hate to pull the door panel off but I think you guys are right. Fuck it I will just run new wire. Is it ok to run the speaker wires through the door jams past the power wire? I will run the RCA jacks to the amp on the opposite side of the truck from the power wire but it will be next to the speaker wires.

Thanks guys
Yea should be fine, I think you get the interference from the RCA wires so aslong as thats not on the power wire side you should be good.

I forgot your g/f was pregnant. How old is your kid now? Boy or girl?

·
Joseph K
2,536 Posts
Run speaker wire to each door from the amp and leave the factory as is. Just run it through the grommets going into each door so it's completely hidden :read:

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.....

You have your power wire running through your door jam?

:read: Picture of Firewall Install

My power wire comes through the firewall grommet and down under my sill plates. Its not closed in the door or some crazy shit haha.

Jon - My son is a year old now (July 12). We named him Eric (my middle name). He is already a damned ox though. 1 year check at 32" tall and 30lbs. He's probably going to be rolling me up any week now haha.

As we speak I have my door panels are off and I'm doing the wiring. Have the wires ran to the front and back driver side door. Going to put the rear speaker together, door panel back on and stop for the night. Its nice having a driver!

·
Registered
42 Posts
85 watts rms is gonna blow those speakers right out of your door, most aftermarket ones cant handle that, alpine has a type s, and type r that you should be putting in if your planning on putting that much power

·
Beast Mode
45 Posts
Well I just bought the Alpine type s components and rms is 85 watt. Sounds good without amp but of course gonna get my amp soon. You can get them online for $70 retail stores over $130. Great highs for sure.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
I put a set of Alpine coaxials in my doors a while back (cause they were cheap and I didnt want to mess with components on this truck) and I got a set of factory style connectors from the audio shop that plugged into the factory harness with no cutting. Always an option for someone like me that absolutely despises cutting a factory harness...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts