GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Is there anyway to wire these up so they come on when I flip a switch other than running a wire all the way to the back of the truck. I was thinkin tap into the stock reverse lights and somehow make a jumper with a switch to activate them manually instead of just when in reverse. Is there a relay or something I could tie into?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With a switch or both. Basically so when I'm hookin up a trailer I can leave the truck in park and have light. Also to blind fuckers who ride my ass

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Just hook it up to a relay with the reverse light tripping the relay and power and ground? Just like fog lights?

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
what kind of truck do you have? its possible to wire your switch to power whatever powers your reverse lights, but you'd have to be careful not to send voltage back into the prndl, but a diode could take care of that.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 08 work truck half ton. I just don't know what wire powers the reverse lights once I figure that out I can figure out the wiring

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
it should have a set of trailer wires, find one of the green ones in that bundle, either light green or dark green, I think its light green

·
Registered
912 Posts
it should have a set of trailer wires, find one of the green ones in that bundle, either light green or dark green, I think its light green
If you look at the cover that is over where you plug the trailer lights into the bumper it shows which wire controls what. It is the center wire on my 09. I don't remember what color it is though. I just wired mine in so that they come on when I put it in reverse, but I like this idea of having the option.

·
Your HID Preferred Vendor
2,595 Posts
All of your backup wires are light green, including both reverse lights and tralier lights. even if you dont have a hitch, your wiring is still all in the rear bumper. it looks like there is a dark blue wire coming from the bcm and one from the inside rear view mirror (no idea why) that provide the power to turn on the relay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts