GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the factory head unit in my truck now, but all it does is send a signal to the rest of my goodies. If you want it to appear stock then leave it, if you don't care that anyone looking in will know you have an aftermarket cd player change it. An aftermarker cd player will sound alot better than the factory unit anyday and is the most bang for the buck upgrade to your sound you can do. By "system" do you want just subs or you gonna amp everything, replace door speakers and add subs? If you are going to add everything then add the aftermarket head unit unless you are like me and are just anal about aftermarket head units not matching the trucks interior and everyone can see it to steal it.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Its not that much to hook up a converter and use the factory unit. It wont sound as good true, but it wont get stolen as much ever

·
peace Hogg
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, the thing is that my cd player is at the very bottom of my accessiories(a/c, radio, tape player, clock) so it would be a hassle reaching down all the time and my gear stick(or whatever the hell its called) would be in the way so i wouldnt see my clock...it may not seem big to you but it woudl get on my nerves...would putting a head unit where my cd player is replace my clock or would i still have the one up top

i know it is difficult to understand that but thats the only way i knew to say it lol :crazy:

·
Registered
277 Posts
you would replace the upper part (the tape player and radio part where you adjust the volume). you can replace the factory cd player part with a pocket.

·
Registered
820 Posts
You can install a converter and run the factory HU, but I really don't recomend it the signal you will get from the rca's will be really low and your sound quality is really going to suck.

·
Registered
820 Posts
No you don't have to run a radio like that you can install a regular size unit, you just need a mounting kit that's all. Your mounting kit should also come with a pocket to take the place of your factory cd player also. I have installed a few headunits in your style truck it isn't hard at all.

·
peace Hogg
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aight man thanks for the help..it has helped alot..
and with those pioneers that come xm radio equipped...is all you have to do is install the antenna and subscribe and you have xm ???? :worship: :worship: :worship:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts