GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use Mobil1 5w-30 in my 08 Silverado with a Mobil1 filter, but I am thinking about going to a Wix at my next oil change. I'm not sure if it really matters between the two filters, but is one filter better than the othe when running Mobil1 oil? Should I stick with the Mobil1 or go with the Wix? Are their filter capabilities equal? The Wix is quite a bit cheaper than the Mobil1 and if it filters just as good or better, then I'm gonna go with that one. What oil filters do you guys/girls use?

Thanks guys.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Those 2 filters are great filters, I'd doubt you'd see I difference in either. Get whatever is cheapest.

I use AC delco filters in mine always.

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts
I use mobil 1 oil and filter. Just an FYI. I change them every 5,000 because its fully synthetic.
I think we covered this but M1 is not Fully Synthetic. M1 Extended Performance is.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have used both filters and they are both good. On the last oil change I picked up an AC Delco at wally world because I didn't want to stop at another store to pick up the Mobil 1 filter. It all depends on how much you want to spend?

·
Resident Guinea ***
14,533 Posts

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
I wish wal-mart carried my Oil Filter, they have PF46 and PF47 but no PF48 for the NNBS trucks :shrug: got to make a seperate stop now.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Fram Tough Guard also has a syn media within the filter like the M1 and others... PLUS you can score them if you shop the local stores smartly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use Mobil 1 with a NAPA Gold filter. Its just a rebranded WIX filter, but cheaper. I buy them by the case....its less hassle. There aren't many NAPA or WIX dealers around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can use a AC Delco Filter pn#12626224/UPF48R.It is the same filter that goes on the new ZR-1 Corvettes.

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Fram Tough Guard also has a syn media within the filter like the M1 and others... PLUS you can score them if you shop the local stores smartly.
:hmm: do you have anymore info on this so I can do some reading. I don't like having to drive around town to get my PF48 AC Delco.

Its just when I think of putting a Fram product on my truck it's like :uhoh:

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
PF52 AC Delco always. Its cheap and approved by GM....I think :think:. I would think a WIX would be just fine too. As long as you change it at regular intervals any of the major brands are probably good enough.

·
Registered
635 Posts
wix. i'm glad o'reilys bought out checker, so wix right by my house.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
:hmm: do you have anymore info on this so I can do some reading. I don't like having to drive around town to get my PF48 AC Delco.

Its just when I think of putting a Fram product on my truck it's like :uhoh:

Check their site? :hmm: I just remember from reading it has a syn media. I bought five quarts of any weight Pennz Plat (great syn oil FYI and it was 5/50 for the Nazi kars) and that filter for the Z :D

I just get whatever combo is typically on sale. At times it's M1 and their filter, but mostly Pennz Plat + Fram Tough Guard.

Memory fails what shit I have uses M1 anymore, it's just not that good for the cost. The 745i turbos are going to be on Redline most likely, currently on cheapo 20/50. I THINK the Z has M1 @ 0/40 for quicker oil pressure and better film at high oil temps.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have no experience with Mobil 1 oil filters as you would not find them in my area.

But its not correct they are a true 100% synthetic media filter. Its a blend of synthetic and fiber (cellulose). This is right from their website.

Removes more contaminants than conventional filters using an advanced synthetic fiber blend filter media.
Its begs the question, how much of it is synthetic media? 5%, 10%, 40%, ??? No one knows and they don't say.

At the present time AMSOIL is the only company making a 100% synthetic media (not a blend) oil and air filters.
Ea Oil Filters are made with full synthetic nanofiber technology, making them the highest efficiency filters that are available for the auto/light truck market. Guaranteed for 25,000 miles or one year when used in conjunction with AMSOIL motor oil in normal service.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with the Mobil 1 oil filters. In fact they are much better than the average commodity oil filter.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Have not heard one filter mentioned here that is troublesome. Find a sale and pick up any of the above and change at regular intervals and they will do a good job. My '06 5.3 has 36k on it and has had 5 different filter brands on it.

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Find a sale and pick up any of the above and change at regular intervals and they will do a good job.

Best advice of all regarding hype, myth, and BS sales pitch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts