GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 3500, 6.0L, automatic. After running the truck for hours, I shut it off for about an hour. When I went to start it again, all I get is a click coming from the dash somewhere. When I turn the key on, the shift indicator goes right to 2(underlined). No, it’s NOT the Neutral Switch, I changed that out several months ago and it functions fine. I’ve checked the relay, battery connections and everything obvious. A friend thinks it’s the starter. I don’t see how a bad starter would effect the shift indicator. The truck functioned fine while plowing for four hours previous. There’s another storm coming this weekend, I need this truck- Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply- tried that already. After trying EVERYTHING I could think of,I hooked up my HF scanner. Five codes popped up (I didnt think of writing them down,DUMMY that I am). I cleared all codes, and the indicator went right to P, then it started right up! Problem solved. But, I don’t know why this problem happened. Which sucks, because I don’t know when or where it might reoccur. I will carry the scanner from now on though. Funny thing- my mechanic thought it was the starter too, but I couldn’t see how a bad starter would make the shift indicator stay on 2nd gear. I know if it’s showing that it’s in gear, it won’t let it start. Blew my mind that all I had to do was clear codes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know. That is basically what I stated. I don’t know what caused it, or how to prevent a reoccurrence. No one (including my mechanic), has an answer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Same type problem, long story. My '06 would not start, good battery, must be the starter. Replaced the starter and then okay for awhile then no start. I had left the starter heat shield off so I can now easily get to the contacts. Turn the key to crank, no current to the solenoid. Key on, hot wire the solenoid, starter cranks but the engine still will not fire.

Study the starter wiring diagram. Ignition switch, neutral safety, processor and then the starter. Okay replace the ignition switch. All is okay for a while, then no start. This is when I finally noticed that when the truck did not start the trans indicator was not lit. New trans shift switch, again okay for awhile. By the way all grounds and connectors were cleaned or replaced.

Turned out, the PCM was bad. Intermittent or temperature sensitive problem. No codes were ever set. I did notice before replacing the processor I could turn the ignition key on and off and maybe after 10 to 20 times the trans indicator would light up and the truck started. I could run the truck for any length of time and the trans indicator would stay active the whole time. Turn the truck off, then turn the key on, yes you guessed it, no transmission indicator light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I’m clear- you changed out the PCM, and that cured the problem? Or are you still having the issue? I’ve changed everything you have (except the PCM), shortly before this happened, so I doubt it’s the ignition,neutral switch, starter, fuse, relay......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts