GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Under the Radar
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 07 LTZ NNBS 4x4 and purchased an 05 4x2 ECSB. One thing that really suprised me was how much better the BOSE sounds in this truck compared to my 07. I just pulled out my Alpine SPX17-REF components and am wondering if it's worthwhile to drop them in my 05. Amp will be my Excelon X40. Deck is looking to be an IVA 505.

Thanks

·
Bad Luck is all i got.
1,483 Posts
Most people on here do not like it all. Personally i dont care. Im not a hardcore stereo kinda guy. As long as the HU is good and functional and the speakers play sound im happy. Itll probably cost you more than going with aftermarket equipment that would end up being better in the long run.

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
It all depends on what you like....meaning the Bose will not sound as great as it does with an aftermarket deck on it then the Delco (stock) unit. So if you plan on getting a screen or aftermarket head unit then yes pull the Alpine components/amp and install them in the 05. :imo:

·
Under the Radar
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a huge home theater nut, and would never consider putting anything bose in my system (no highs no lows it must be BOSE :D), but it really sounds fairly decent in this truck. I'm sure the Alpine's would stomp them in the mid bass region but is it enough to warrant switching everything out? The part that really get's me is the 200 dollars in adaptors I have to purchase to get everything to work together.

Edit. Jschrock, I just saw your post. If it sounds worse than it does now I might consider switching it out then. Now my price really went up. If I'm going to be taking apart my door panels I might as well order my sound deadener and shaved door kit.

Travis

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
Well first off if you are not going to be using the Bose you do not have to buy the 200 dollar adapter, they make one that does not support bose and it is 100. I see what you are saying though after the dash kit ~40 buck, ~$100 wiring harness...money talks. But like i said before its all on the individual and what Sound Quality means to them. Bose is ok....just not for anyone that likes it even remotely loud...

EDIT: here is a cheaper harness that will work: http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Chevrolet-Silverado-Radio-Wiring-Harness-Interface_W0QQitemZ130307593424QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090520?IMSfp=TL090520171013r26945

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why did they ever decide use BOSE systems? Anything from Walmart would be better than BOSE. There is a reason why BOSE refuses to publish frequency response.

·
Under the Radar
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why did they ever decide use BOSE systems? Anything from Walmart would be better than BOSE. There is a reason why BOSE refuses to publish frequency response.
Even though I am not a fan of Bose at all, I do think they make a decent car audio system. Let's face it, 95% of the customers purchasing these vehicles are not concerned with FR numbers. These are the same people that listen to their HT movies through their flat screen TV speakers. As long as it has a fancy name and a tweeter sticking out somewhere, they are willing to pay extra money for it.

·
Under the Radar
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as the head unit is concerned, would you go with the Pioneer 4100 or the Alpine 505? I like the fact that the Pioneer can play CD/DVD's whereas the Alpine cannot. I'm mainly interested in the IPOD interface though. With app 6k songs on my touch I want the best DAC's I can get. I know the Alpine runs 24bit, is the Pioneer the same?

·
I don't have a truck
10,439 Posts
Bose blows. You could walk into any walmart in the country and have a better system than bose.

·
GMFS Member
845 Posts
I went through the time and trouble of "upgrading" my stock premium Bose system to the Lux Bose system found in Escalades and Denalis. While I would consider it a vast improvement over the norm, it still leaves something to be desired.

If I had to do it again, I think I would have went aftermarket.:hmm:

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
If you think Blose sounds good, you're head's been under a rock you're whole life.

Silveradodude said it best.... Even the cheapest shit in Wal-Mart would sound better.

·
Under the Radar
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you think Blose sounds good, you're head's been under a rock you're whole life.

Silveradodude said it best.... Even the cheapest shit in Wal-Mart would sound better.
First off, I'm not some noob when it comes to audio. I have spent hundreds of hours in my HT room tweaking FR's of my speakers and sub's. I have an ear for music and know what sounds natural. I say natural because good is very subjective and all comes down to the ear of the beholder. Sit down in a well designed HT room and most car audio pales in comparison. I am not looking to replicate the end all car audio system. I was merely asking if my Alpines would be a noticeable improvement to justify the added cost of installation. When it comes to audio, and everything else for that matter, there is a diminishing return on investment.

I appreciate the informative replies from those who have donated some sound advice.

·
1,847 Posts
It may be worth it. It would be hell to switch Bose to aftermarket though. There is a lot involved and takes a long time to do

·
GMFS Member
845 Posts
It may be worth it. It would be hell to switch Bose to aftermarket though. There is a lot involved and takes a long time to do
It becomes involved if you elect to keep any component of the Bose system. If you completely replace the system, it should be pretty easy.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
Bose blows. You could walk into any walmart in the country and have a better system than bose.
No Highs No Lows, Must be Bose!

Bose, better sound through marketing!

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
First off, I'm not some noob when it comes to audio. I have spent hundreds of hours in my HT room tweaking FR's of my speakers and sub's. I have an ear for music and know what sounds natural. I say natural because good is very subjective and all comes down to the ear of the beholder. Sit down in a well designed HT room and most car audio pales in comparison. I am not looking to replicate the end all car audio system. I was merely asking if my Alpines would be a noticeable improvement to justify the added cost of installation. When it comes to audio, and everything else for that matter, there is a diminishing return on investment.

I appreciate the informative replies from those who have donated some sound advice.
ok, heres the jist how aftermarket can sound better and how Bose can sound better:
Bose sounds better:
Researchers sit in the vehicle, after a basic amp, source, and crappy speakers are temp installed, meter it for FR, figure out what to sounds good and will lead to the least number of failures, incorporate a bass curve into it so the bass drops off at louder levels, then they burn that EQ curve on to a DSP chip so that a basic deck, with a $2 chip and $1.50 speakers will sound the best to the average person. Once you swap the deck, amp, or speakers, all that is blown out the window so nothing is expandable or interchangeable other than maybe an aux in or $700 sat tuner from the dealer.
Aftermarket:
Build speakers, radios and amps that can go above a beyond factory speakers in terms of wattages, features, and dynamic headroom, give you the ability to expand, modify and experiment. Theres usually no limits, unless you set them, and they dont care, so much, whats on the other side of the speaker wire (radio or speaker or amp), they are just going to push as close to a full range signal as possible without filters or an EQ (unless turned on) generally playing the best (cleanest signal) with everything at 0

·
Banned
36 Posts
I think you would find a great improvement over the Bose with the componets you listed.
Even if you just replace you speakers in the stock speaker locations, it would be an improvment.
If you do not mind losing your steering wheel controls, your 505 will drop in, and be a nice addition for cheap.
I competed in IASCA (SQ) for many years, and one thing is for certain...everyone has an opinion. Sound is very opionated. There is no right and wrong answer.
If you already own the equipment, i think you should install it. Keep the stock gear, and if you sell the 05, you can put it back in.
It beats collecting dust.

·
Under the Radar
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you would find a great improvement over the Bose with the componets you listed.
Even if you just replace you speakers in the stock speaker locations, it would be an improvment.
If you do not mind losing your steering wheel controls, your 505 will drop in, and be a nice addition for cheap.
I competed in IASCA (SQ) for many years, and one thing is for certain...everyone has an opinion. Sound is very opionated. There is no right and wrong answer.
If you already own the equipment, i think you should install it. Keep the stock gear, and if you sell the 05, you can put it back in.
It beats collecting dust.
I was eyeing some of those Q Logic kick panels. Only problem is with our seasons the speakers would get trashed with all the snow that would get tracked in. I appreciate the input, looks like I'll buck up and install everything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts