GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
38.5x11s on the back and 38.5x15.50s on the front
BlueTruck1.jpg

the way i figure it theres alot of weight in that extra 4" on each side and id consider buyin the truck, but im sure the case is wore as fuck and ready to break....
but another guy tried tellin me that as long as there all 38s your good, but i say the width difference is definatly killin it
am i right?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
Im at work so i cant see the pic but coming from a technical stand point, YOU are wrong. Width has no affect on a t-case or gears, only diameter. However, i can only imagine a truck with 15.50s up front and 11's out back has other issues to be more concerned about.

·
submarine z71
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but im sayin is it not alot of weight difference?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
the weight difference doesnt matter. what will destroy a t-case is having different diameter tires front to back, reason being is that they are spinning at different ratios and the t-case wants to spin at one, so then is where u will have carnage on the t-case. yet in most cases a small diameter change wont hurt anything esp offroading where there is wheel spin so the tires can spin at different speeds but when there enough difference and traction is when u will see breakage.

same thing goes for different axle gear ratios.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That truck looks like a classic hack job that will have more problems than you will ever be able to fix. Just keep the damn OBS and live with it.
Gotta disagree with you there. The truck looks like it suits him fine. I'm guessing that truck is also from Alabama? :crazy:

·
cracker ass fantastic
616 Posts
in mud racing trucks with smaller front tires..do they have different gears front and rear? or do they just not lock it in til they are ready to roll and rely on the fronts spinning more?

·
Senior Military Member
5,197 Posts
miss-matched gears will work with miss matched tires, but you have to be dead nut with your math/numbers on tire diameter/gear ratio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts