GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys thoughts were on this. I could "possibly" be able to trade my current truck (in signature below) in on a "in and out" at the dealership on my cousins truck. Long story short, my cousin is wanting to trade in his '08 2500HD CC truck with the 6.0 motor in on and going back to a diesel. I like my truck I have now a lot, aside from it not having leather. I have spent, and wasted some in the process, a lot of money getting it to sit like and look like I want it to. But like most, It still isn't like I want it and maybe I'm just getting tired of its looks by now. I love the way the 2500HD's sit when they are level with some tires and wheels on them.

My truck now has 45,000 miles on it. I talked to my buddy at the dealership, and with how well I take care of my trucks (I hunt with him and he sees that I wash and detail mine almost every weekend, as well as take care of everything else on it), he said that they could give me almost $6000 over what I owe.

My cousin's truck is an '08 LTZ loaded 4x4 with black leather interior and white on the outside. It is a Z71 CC with 32,000 miles on it, and I think another dealership he is looking at is low balling him at around $24,000 trade in. All they did was walk around it a couple of weeks ago. I talked to him the other day and decided that since I just got a slight promotion with a company car, i do not drive my personal truck much anymore, I told him I would be interested in buying his if I could do an in and out at the dealership. He said no problem, and he would let me know when he figures out what he is going to get. I went by tonight to bullshit and drink a beer, and maybe a little peek at what I would possibly be getting myself into. He told me the other day that he put a "small" ding in the bumper with a trailer last weekend (after he had the used value appraised) but failed to mention that the tailgate is now bent a little on the corner (which could possibly be knocked back with a rubber hammer), the bumper will need to be replaced probably, and there is a slight crease in the rear fender, all from this trailer. That would obviously need to be fixed. Also, it wont pass inspection because the tires on the front are too worn down. He said, and I don't blame him, that he isn't going to put new tires on there or get it inspected if he is trading it in, which is fine. I would do the same thing. First thing I would probably do is hold a little money back and put wheels and tires on it like I do with all of my vehicles.

I owe around $16K on my truck, and they will probably give me between 22K-23K for it. They will probably give my cousin 22K to 24K (depending on if they hit him on the dings in the rear end). I could take that extra money and put down on his and possibly have cheaper payments, but probably close to the same. I know I have spent a lot on my current truck and would have to start all over, but his truck is seriously bad ass and never had a problem with it. Only reason I woudn't have bought another 2500 when I bought my current truck, was the gas mileage and I commuted about 70 miles a day ever 3 days with our carpool we had going at work. Now I have a company car and that is not an issue. What do you guys think? I'm not going to do anything if my payments go up, or anything like that. I'm almost looking for an even trade. I'm starting to get a little excited...

How do the newer 6.0's hold up? I'm assuming there are some 2500HD forums out there, and maybe that is why I don't see much on here. What are some decent mods that get done on these, and what issues/problems should I look for with this year model / motor / size of truck? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm really interested in doing something here if this is a good deal, i just hate starting all over again on another truck with sound system, wheels, tires, lift/level, window tint. The list goes on and on.

So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I did forget to mention, even though I do like my truck, it does drive like shit IMO. It is most likely due to all of the leveling kits/RC lift I had, but it just seems rough riding and turning. I've had to replace both axles in front, and just had it aligned, but t still seems a little off. I might be just over exaggerating, but it looks like front end problems are in my not to distant future, and that worries me. I'm sort of factoring that in also.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sounds like you already know what you want! You've weighed in pretty much every factor man, I say go for it

·
cunts
2,743 Posts
No. As for your own truck, i would take either the lift or the leveling kit off and just stick with one :imo:. Maybe your ride quality will increase a little after doing that.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only have a leveling kit on it now. The RC was bought back from me last year. I'm tired of throwing more money at my truck to get it to look like I want / drive like I want. Lesson learned, do it right the first time. Basically, I'm looking at it as an even trade since they are both worth about the same in the condition they are in. And I might need help pulling a camper the wife and I are looking at, so that's a factor as well. My current truck would handle it, but it will be pushing it to the limits, plus having to probably swap out the BB tuned modules everytime I tow.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My opinion is, you're doing exactly what I do, trying to knit pick your truck to death to have a reason to justify trading trucks! Your truck sounds like it's a nice sound truck that needs minor stuff done to it. Fix your current truck, you'll probably regret getting rid of your truck, been there done that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts