GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... wtf do I do now? I'm thinking of using an unloader tool and then cutting the piece the bolt threads into out, and replacing it and the bolt, and also replacing the bolt on the other side too.

HPIM0059.jpg

on the up-side, I got my 2" rough country blocks installed. They didn't ship me any nuts for the u-bolts, so I got some grade 5 since it was the only thing they had in town. Do I need grade 8? or is 5 fine?

HPIM0046.jpg

$18 worth of tools...if they get lost I don't care.
HPIM0049.jpg

and my u-bolts definately needed replacing.

HPIM0047.jpg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice, funny thing is when I went to do my lift same deal. Crawled under the truck to unload em and the right side bolt was broke. I did the same as you mentioned, unload the bar from the bolt then torch the exposed thread. Slip it out the hole. I just got our welder at work to remove the broken peice. :head:

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Always put a jack under the front end and raise it to take the stress off the bolts.
Think about it your raising a X,XXX pound truck up in the air with a bolt. theres alot of stress right there where it snapped at.

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Is the t-bar adjustment key topped out, hitting the top inside of the crossmember? If thats the case, the energy has nowhere to go, since the key cannot rotate upward any farther, hence the snapped bolt.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
So you did or didn't jack it up? Most importantly, good to see you were not injured, things could have been much worse.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
its easy to break em if you dont jack it up... i did that to mine too, untill i learned my lesson.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
I wonder if the same crowd that tightens there adjuster bolts with the vehicle on the ground also does so with an impact gun?

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was jacked off the ground, I'm one of the people who has told others on here it's a bad idea to do it without jacking the truck up, and look what happens when I had it off the ground! The bolts were barely in when I cranked it to level, and after blocks and 2" more cranking, I still have 1/2" of thread on the bolt head. The key isn't hitting the cross member. I have stock keys and got about 2" out of them, and had more room if I needed it until the bolt decided to give way. ooh yeah, and no impact tools here, I bought some impact sockets because it's the only thing I could find in town large enough and it was a whole $9. It would have taken a lot less time to get those damn u-bolts off if I had an impact and didn't have to use 4' of pipe on the breaker bar. And I used a 3/8" ratchet to break the torsion bar adjusting bolt off, so no excess torque.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Im not sure what is in there stock but a bolt that is too hard will break easier when side loaded than one that is of a softer material........ I think you should just get that one out. Clean the threads up good with oil and toss the same kind back in it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im not sure what is in there stock but a bolt that is too hard will break easier when side loaded than one that is of a softer material........ I think you should just get that one out. Clean the threads up good with oil and toss the same kind back in it.

They are metric grade 10.9 bolts. :head:

·
is awesome
2,263 Posts
you need grade 8 nuts
and you should always replace u-bolts when doing a lift or anything

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
I wonder if the same crowd that tightens there adjuster bolts with the vehicle on the ground also does so with an impact gun?
Mine were always done with the weight of the truck on the ground and with an IMPACT wrench. No problems here on 3 TB cranked trucks i have had.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Remember also you need a bolt threaded all the way which is where I got screwed. Ended up getting one from my dealer. P/N 15530026

I had gotten a bolt I thought would work but I maxed out the threads and it didn't load the bar enough.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Got any pics with the blocks?

·
Left Jizz
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I knew I'd need new u-bolts because of going with the 2" block, and I also know it's the right thing to do to replace them every time. Notice the brand new ones in the second pic above.

Here's some more pics, one of the truck, one of the block.

HPIM0055.jpg

HPIM0058.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts